No announcement yet.

could someone end up remaking the fox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could someone end up remaking the fox?

Would be awesome to see a production build of coupes with modern drivetrain

Originally posted by JDLM

Regular Autoblog readers may be more inclined to flip to Discovery's Velocity channel than they would to C-SPAN, but this particular bill being presented in Congress may pique your interest in our federal legislature more than anything since Schoolhouse Rock.

Proposed legislation in the House of Representatives would create a new category of regulations for low-volume automakers – specifically those building replicas of classic automobiles. Current regulations, which hold small-scale manufacturers to the same standards as mass producers, mean that these low-volume automakers are forced to sell their products as kits, but the new category would allow them to offer turn-key vehicles, with no further assembly required on the part of the buyer.

House Resolution 2675 – dubbed the "Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015" – is a bipartisan bill being presented by Congressmen Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Gene Green (D-TX). If voted into law, it would mandate that smaller-scale automakers (producing no more than 500 vehicles per year) would still be required to comply with modern standards set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency, but those standards would be set separately for lower volumes. These vehicles, as pointed out by the SEMA in the statement below, are "primarily used in exhibitions, parades and occasional transportation."

"The bill introduced by Reps. Mullin and Green will allow US companies to produce turn-key replicas of older vehicles that are virtually impossible to build under today's restrictive one-size-fits-all regulatory framework," said SEMA chief Chris Kersting. "This program will create skilled-labor jobs in the auto industry and help meet consumer demand for these classics of the past."

U.S CONGRESS INTRODUCES BILL TO ALLOW LIMITED PRODUCTION OF TURN-KEY REPLICA CARS

Washington, DC (June 10, 2015) – Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) have introduced bipartisan legislation that would enable low volume car manufacturers to produce turn-key replica vehicles for customers nationwide. Replica vehicles resemble classic cars produced at least 25 years ago. Supported by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the "Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015" (H.R. 2675) would allow companies to construct up to 500 such cars a year subject to federal regulatory oversight.

The U.S. currently has just one system for regulating automobiles. It was established in the 1960s and designed for companies that mass-produce millions of vehicles. H.R. 2675 creates a separate regulatory framework for small businesses producing modest numbers of cars.

"The bill introduced by Reps. Mullin and Green will allow U.S. companies to produce turn-key replicas of older vehicles that are virtually impossible to build under today's restrictive one-size-fits-all regulatory framework," said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. "This program will create skilled-labor jobs in the auto industry and help meet consumer demand for these classics of the past."

H.R. 2675 directs the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish a separate regulatory structure to facilitate the production of replica cars. Manufacturers would be required to register with NHTSA and EPA and submit annual reports on the vehicles they produce. The vehicles would meet current model year emissions standards and manufacturers would be permitted to install clean engines from other EPA-certified vehicles to help achieve that requirement.

H.R. 2675 recognizes the unique circumstances associated with limited production replica vehicles, which are primarily used in exhibitions, parades and occasional transportation. It also provides an opportunity to promote domestic manufacturing and create jobs in the specialty auto sector.

"This bill seeks a reasonable regulatory approach," said Kersting. "It also helps preserve our American automotive heritage."

SEMA will be working with Congressional leaders to promote this important bill. For more information on H.R. 2675, please contact Stuart Gosswein or Eric Snyder at 202.783.6007 or stuartg@sema.org, erics@sema.org.

Yes but not how you are thinking. Eventually you will be able to 3D print any of the body parts in metal instead of having to stamp them. Point being that even low volume manufacturing won't make sense.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

What do you mean by low volume manufacturing won't make sense? Just curious where you are going with it... do you not see this as an opportunity for a small market of cars to be built? Just asking and I have not looked into this topic.

Comment

What he's saying is no one would pay $80k for a foxbody. It would cost a fortune to set up a small manufacturing run of foxbodies.

Comment

Just a little food for thought.
          Dynacorn did the shell only with older mustangs. $17,500 plus shipping and handling.

Now add in labor and parts for a turnkey model and you've blown way past the market value of a foxbody.

Comment

Got it. I guess I didn't even think about it costing nearly that much for it or other simple builds. I can see how something more exotic would get there. The factory five cars can be built very reasonable with great parts so maybe someone will do something similar with the Fox platform.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
              Got it. I guess I didn't even think about it costing nearly that much for it or other simple builds. I can see how something more exotic would get there. The factory five cars can be built very reasonable with great parts so maybe someone will do something similar with the Fox platform.
              In 20 years, this might be a viable process.
              For now, finding a solid 4 cylinder body to drop off at the shop of your choice will get you a turnkey model for much less.
              In fact, there used to be a company in Texas, I wanna say West Texas, that was building turnkey foxbodies to your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                Just a little food for thought.
                Dynacorn did the shell only with older mustangs. $17,500 plus shipping and handling.

Now add in labor and parts for a turnkey model and you've blown way past the market value of a foxbody.
                I was about to say the same thing. Unless you had a car with the interior and a shit body you'd have 100.000 in a car
                Originally posted by soap
                i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

It's a good law for street rod builders, my uncle builds fiber bodied cars and over the years titles have been harder to get. The only problem with this law is having to use an engine that has a carb executive order and meets today's emission standards, with cats etc.

Comment

Panhandle performance or something like that used to do the turn key ones. I think they are the ones that built dvilles car originally.

Comment

This could work for rare cars that someone wants to cash in on. People with deep pockets who want a Superbird, but aren't deep enough to afford a real one.

Or for people who have $$$ and want to race an old odd ball buick or mopar, but can't or won't modify an original.

There will be some moneybags somewhere who buys into it. Just like the people who are buying 100k+ FJ40 repops.
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        Yes but not how you are thinking. Eventually you will be able to 3D print any of the body parts in metal instead of having to stamp them. Point being that even low volume manufacturing won't make sense.
                        I'm the opposite. I think 3d printing making it's way in to the auto industry could very well spark more low volume manufacturers/models.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Why would anyone want to remake the Fox Mustang? Is there a shortage of them that I haven't heard about?
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Just a headline stud muffin. Just sharing the news and adding mustang talk to the mix... since its dfwm. I am more interested though to see when you are done trolling the site or lying out of your ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X