Benefit of a realtor vs going direct to a builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefit of a realtor vs going direct to a builder

Is there a financial benefit to using a realtor vs going directly to a community builder ?
    (( This is not a custom build, just your run of the mill cookie cutter community )))

Can i save money without a realtor ?
    Can a realtor negotiate a better deal on my behalf ?

I dont want to leave money on the table, or miss out on helping someone

Hector

You wont have to pay the realtor to do anything. The realtor's fee percentage comes out of the seller's price. A good realtor is a win/win for any buyer.

Comment

If you don't, atleast cover your bases by having your own inspector come out and look at your build.

Comment

No, most builders will give you a price break if you DO NOT use a realtor. Realtors will cost them a few ten grand.

I suggest being direct with the builder about this early in the process.

Comment

I would deal directly with the builder. In general realtor's have experience dealing with transactions that most people do not deal with all that often but what they bring to the table is nowhere near being worth the fees that they charge. The claim that the buyer doesn't pay the realtors fees is absurd.
          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 12-09-2015, 10:36 AM.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            No, most builders will give you a price break if you DO NOT use a realtor. Realtors will cost them a few ten grand.

I suggest being direct with the builder about this early in the process.
            I talked to all my neighbors when we built and several did not use a Realtor and I happen to come out better then them. Its probably a hit and miss thing but after hearing there storys I would use a Realtor.

Comment

A realtor wants to negotiate the highest price because they get more commission as it is percentage based. I dont like realtors.

Comment

All good information and it all makes sense.

Do you all feel that buying ( contract/earnest) at the end of the year is better ?
                Can we save more money ?

IM guessing that larger builders do not negotiate. Is this a fair assumption ?

Comment

Most realtors are full of shit and don't have a clue. There are some good ones out there though. I would say the answer depends on how good you are at negotiating. Realtors will do little when it comes to the construction process.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                    All good information and it all makes sense.

Do you all feel that buying ( contract/earnest) at the end of the year is better ?
                    Can we save more money ?

IM guessing that larger builders do not negotiate. Is this a fair assumption ?
                    Everybody negotiates.

Weve gotten a lot of the price dropped on the past 2 houses weve built.

Now is a good time to lowball offer before spring. But i also think the market is slowing or inventory had caught up.

Comment

Realtor doesnt cost you anything as a buyer. And hell yes negotiate with the builder. The realtor can pull the CMA on the neighborhood and help get you the best deal.
                      07 GT500
                      05 SRT10
                      88 turbocoupe T-bird
                      93 Cobra
                      86 coupe
                      Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                        Realtor doesnt cost you anything as a buyer. And hell yes negotiate with the builder. The realtor can pull the CMA on the neighborhood and help get you the best deal.
                        Yes, in a lot of ways they can cost you money.

Go to 10 different builders and ask them if they give a discount for purchasing without a realtor. At least half will say yes if not more.

Comment

The realtor's commission has to be paid for somehow and likely it'll just be included in the price of your home.

I only bought one new home and they offered us a nice discount w/o realtor. We had a family member pressure my wife a little into using her as a realtor. As soon as that happened the discount went away and a better price was not negotiated.

We ended up ditching the realtor in favor of the discount.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            The realtor's commission has to be paid for somehow and likely it'll just be included in the price of your home.

I only bought one new home and they offered us a nice discount w/o realtor. We had a family member pressure my wife a little into using her as a realtor. As soon as that happened the discount went away and a better price was not negotiated.

We ended up ditching the realtor in favor of the discount.
                            That makes no sense. Why get a realtor, when their sole purpose is finding your next home, yet you've already found it? Rhetorical question, somebody just wanted to get paid for doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                              That makes no sense. Why get a realtor, when their sole purpose is finding your next home, yet you've already found it? Rhetorical question, somebody just wanted to get paid for doing nothing.
                              This person swore she could get us a better price. Since it was family we gave it a shot for all the usual reasons.

When that did not pan out, we were just happy the sales office was willing to honor the initial discount - since it was a fast selling development.

The realtor was only brought in for the pricing portion in our particular case. IMHO, for a new home in a development - it's easier just to drive around, look and buy the one you like the most.

If the realtors could actually magically get you a better price...they'd be worth it. No so much in these scenarios though.

When we bought our place in Van Alstyne, the realtor we used was extremely useful - in the traditional role you're describing. (Along with the financing process and so forth)

Edit: Just read your whole post...to include the part where you noted you knew the answer.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X