Which welding helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which welding helmet?

I just spent 4 hours welding (yesterday), touched my face and realized I have a burn, roughly square shaped. My fault, cheap harbor freight helmet.

I tend to put my face a little closer the burning wire than I probably should.

My buddy has an auto-darkening helmet, probably paid $250 for it, same results, square burns on his face from a day of welding.

What can I replace my helmet with?
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

If your doing a lot of tack welding you need a helmet with a quick reaction. I personally use a miller digital elite but Jackson also makes a quality product

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      Wait, did you get your burn through the optics? If so, you were welding too long without little breaks in between.
      None of my welds were longer than 1.5", yes, the burn came through the lens, both instances (meaning my friend's also)
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

I have a $100 Hobart that is 1000% better than the cheapie one like you have. Its quicker, more clear, and has 3 flash sensors if I remember right.
        Justin

Comment

Like this?
          [ame]http://www.amazon.com/HOBART-770746-Helmet-Auto-Dark-Variable/dp/B00AYDX4XI/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1449242114&sr=8-13&keywords=Hobart+Welding+helmet[/ame]

Comment

For my cutting/grinding, I use this Hobart face shield and it's excellent.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770118-Shield-Clear-Ratchet/dp/B0017Z04Z8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449242251&sr=8-1&keywords=hobart+face+shield[/ame]

Comment

The Hobart impact series is $25 more and has twice the reaction time as the $100 helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                No, I have the impact mentioned above. I guess prices have gone up a little since I got mine.
                Justin

Comment

I use a Viking 3350 series everyday and love it, came with a free 3 year full warranty.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  i know i am are a fucking idiot.i know i should have pulled out of my mommas ass to make a shit fuck like me.bitch
                  Originally Posted By: Polska
                  I don't believe in shotting any animal past 150 or 200 yards, until their is better technology in 10 or 20 years and we have laser like the predators.

Comment

I paid 45 for mine at northern and have spent well over 4 hours welding and no burns or anything wrong

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

I use a hobart with a gold lens.

Comment

I just spent 4 hours welding (yesterday), touched my face and realized I have a burn, roughly square shaped. My fault, cheap harbor freight helmet.

I tend to put my face a little closer the burning wire than I probably should.

My buddy has an auto-darkening helmet, probably paid $250 for it, same results, square burns on his face from a day of welding.

What can I replace my helmet with?
                        I got you.

Comment

That's tight. Unlike that pussy, I don't use gloves, even if they're dish gloves for womens

Comment

That's tight. Unlike that pussy, I don't use gloves.
                            Better that you not talk to me. I'm an infiltrator. But good on you for not using gloves. Comes in handy if you ever need to rob a 7-11. See what I did there??

Comment

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                              X