Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here dealt with TDP or Standard Transmission and Gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here dealt with TDP or Standard Transmission and Gear?

I would put this is tech, but no one ever goes there anymore. Need to get a T56 rebuilt and from what I understand Texas Drivetrain performance and Standard Transmission and Gear are the two places to go.

They both have good reviews, but I've learned my lesson over the years. Seen too many guys make a good name for themselves and then suddenly turn into assholes.

Anyone dealt with either of those places recently? Any other recommendations for a T56 rebuild?

I used to buy my HD manuals from STG. They were great, always warranted their product, and jumped through their ass to get me squared away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      I used to buy my HD manuals from STG. They were great, always warranted their product, and jumped through their ass to get me squared away.
      One of the bigger complaints that I've heard is that they're slow. I'm not in a super big hurry, but at the same time I would like to drive my new car in 2015.... You run into any time issues with them?

Comment

Standard put a new bellhousing on the 5speed in my old gt. I dropped the tranny off and had it back in a few days. They gave me a good price on the used bellhousing and their service was great.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          One of the bigger complaints that I've heard is that they're slow. I'm not in a super big hurry, but at the same time I would like to drive my new car in 2015.... You run into any time issues with them?
          Not that I recall, unless it was something that was a bit obscure.

Comment

It's really difficult comparing the two businesses. Standard is a factory service center for many different manufacturers. They have a fairly large staff with a huge stocking warehouse and delivery trucks.

TDP is usually a one man show that probably buys his parts from Standard.

The final product is likely to be similar but Standard may have what you need sitting on the shelf already and they can probably deliver it.

You might also check with Bishop. They have a pretty good builder and can actually dyno test manuals. They do some basic performance updates but mostly stock rebuilds.

Bishop International, Inc., founded by Jimmy Bishop in 1948, has become one of the world's largest independent distributors of quality of new and remanufactured automotive components.

Comment

You try thesource yet on a rebuild, he's a member here but I don't think he gets on that often? Or try southwest standard transmissions, they pickup and deliver. I had a nv3500 redone and was pleased.

Comment

Been a few years but TDP rebuilt the Borg Warner Super T10 and the 10 bolt rear end in my 10th anniversary trans am. No issues with their work to date, the price was reasonable, and they did the work pretty quickly.

Comment

I have no recent experience with TDP, but have had a few things done by them in the past with good results. We tore up a Tremec at the track and Jason converted to the TKO for us with the bigger C6 style output shaft. It's been fine since then.

He also did the Dana rear end in my truck(lost a tooth on the ring gear), while I waited I might add. It was my daily and only transportation at the time. We were there til about 11 PM that night. This was without even knowing him personally.

Hope this helps.

LT

Comment

I called TDP and he sounds like he is pretty much swamped right now. Thinking that STG might be the better choice.

Comment

Ive been using Differential & Gear since Charlie (used to work at standard trans for years) opened up his shop off of handley-ederville road. They do great work and get them done fast,they just got all my parts in and are going to be doing the gear swap in my 99' viper.

Comment

Iv had great service from Standard. Both service and parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X