how to catch a vandal on a ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to catch a vandal on a ranch?

For the past couple of years, my FIL has had his fill of someone coming on his property and vandalizing his feeders. At first, they were messing with the timers on the feeder. Changing the times, pulling a wire loose, etc. Then they were taking down the "no trespassing" signs. Lately, it has ratcheted up to dumping over whole feeders, breaking the legs/mounting points, and even taking the entire feeder recently (the barrel, leaving the legs), one that we had just put a new thrower on and rebuilt. It's not a large area, 100 acres, rectangular.

Not sure if it's happening at night or during the day, but we're fairly certain who it is and where they are coming from/how they are accessing the ranch. There is a smaller property diagonally opposite ours, and you can see his blind and feeder from that general vicinity, his blind is on his property line, and you can see his feeder between his blind and the edge of his property. There is a bit of a path of worn down grasses where he might be jumping the fences and entering our land. According to the my mother inlaw, when the most recent feeder was broken/stolen, she found a brown pair of cheap cotton gloves by the corner of the fence; not sure if they fell out of this bumbling thieve's pocket, or were left intentionally (probably the least likely scenario, only someone trying to put the focus on the neighbor with the easiest access to our property would leave a calling card/marker like that; this is petty stuff). Whoever is doing this is walking on to the property whenever my FIL is not there, because he locks his gate. The neighbors would notice a car parked in front of the entrance or anywhere along the road and treat it as suspicious.

The last time I was there (wife/kids & I go maybe 4 or 5 times a year, my FIL goes 3 weekends a month), things had escalated (turned over feeders, broken legs off, etc) and I suggested to my FIL that they get the Sherriff involved and get this stuff documented. A deputy came out and looked around. Then it occurred to me (too late?) that a game warden (state police) might be a better approach, since these acts would fall under the harrassment of a hunter/sportsman. The game warden offered to come out and install a game camera that would alert him real time, sending whatever pics it took to his cell, but then he came back and said that since we had called the Sherriff in first, it was his case.

The prevailing theory is that because we have feeders, we are pulling the deer off his feeder. We aren't shooting deer, have no operating blinds, my FIL just likes having the wildlife; his two donkeys love the corn though, so it's also a treat for them. The donkeys are the only livestock on the property.

Who has experience with game cameras and the best one for this application, or any other camera? This is a very remote area, in a small town between San Antonio & Corpus Christi.

All suggestions appreciated

TLDR: someone is vandalizing the ranchita, need to catch them.

Last edited by barronj; 11-22-2015, 07:04 PM.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

I'd really push to get the game warden involved. Coordinate with the sheriff about that, and get him to ask them for help. That is absolute horseshit.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      I'd really push to get the game warden involved. Coordinate with the sheriff about that, and get him to ask them for help. That is absolute horseshit.
      X2.

Comment

Make friends with the neighbor and act like nothing is wrong. Tell him you just bought a gen III night vision scope for your rifle and you can't wait to try it out.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

No game cameras around?

Comment

I think they have installed one, will know more this weekend when I'm there again.
            The last time I was actively involved in putting one up, it was for whoever was opening doors on the cabins and setting off alarms. My FIL installed locks on the doors to prevent the from recurring. He did have a bunch of shotguns stolen out of a store room on the main 3 room bunk house (I guess it was left unlocked? It's a remote area, this was before the feeder problems started).
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

I'd only use black flash cams for this and hide them well. The game warden should still be able to get involved imho.

Comment

Gillie suit, patience, and a .308.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I've had a few Charles Bronson-esque notions. Assuming I'm right, he hops the corner of the fence and proceeds to wreck shit. I'd like to nest up some razor wire where he would land, then some trip wires 12" off the ground and some rebar hammered in to the ground to soften the fall. We could have fun out there, but we are spending time and money fixing what fucko has mangled.

Comment

A simple hand grenade, some duct tape could solve this quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                      I've had a few Charles Bronson-esque notions. Assuming I'm right, he hops the corner of the fence and proceeds to wreck shit. I'd like to nest up some razor wire where he would land, then some trip wires 12" off the ground and some rebar hammered in to the ground to soften the fall. We could have fun out there, but we are spending time and money fixing what fucko has mangled.
                      Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                      A simple hand grenade, some duct tape could solve this quickly.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      Gillie suit, patience, and a .308.
                      All great suggestions.....good initiative gentlemen.

Comment

While I would love it if he maimed himself in the act, the goal is simply to get his picture, as clearly as possible, so the authorities can do their job.

I'll look in to black flash game cams.

In a perfect world, I would find an affordable, cordless video system, motion activated, that catches this guy. I bet it's happening during the day or close to dusk, during the week.

Comment

I have a Covert Brand Game Camera that texts me pictures....

Works great and very clear but it's not cheap.

Comment

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RDO7GMG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448287719&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=covert+game+camera&dpPl=1 &dpID=31Zmp6JUT0L&ref=plSrch[/ame]

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Anyone have any experience with GPS trackable tiles?

Comment

Working...
                              X