AC130 gunship apparently not meant to be inverted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC130 gunship apparently not meant to be inverted

Landed safely but scrapped due to pilot error during a test flight when it was temporarily inverted at 15,000 feet.

One of the Air Force Special Operations Command’s brand-spanking-new AC-130J Ghostrider Gunships has to be scrapped due to a test flight that went horribly awry. Luckily nobody was harmed but the $115 million dollar highly-modified Super Hercules will never fly again.

Gravity is a muthufucker...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The bleed-air blimp can do a lot of things, but going inverted is ill-advised...especially with a shit ton of guns on board.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Is AC130 not fly-by-wire? Using fly-by-wire, it is just a control system program to stop the pilot from flying a plane outside the control envelope.
        class joke
        {
        private:
        char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
        double Peas, Carrots;
        string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
        };

Comment

I figured if a 707 could do a roll, certainly a 130 could also.

Comment

Fun Fact:SVO and Hall Hibbard designed the C130 in 1951
            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Love the mil-speak there. "It departed controlled flight."

Comment

Interesting, an AC130 cant go inverted yet a DC10 can.

Comment

Love this comment in the article.

Found on ebay:

2015 USAF Ghostrider Gunship
                  One of a kind
                  Babied...never tracked or raced...never wintered.
                  New wings and recently replaced OEM flight crew buckets.
                  $50 million OBO.
                  No tire kickers, no mavericks.

Comment

Yep, sounds like he put it into a spin that led to an inverted situation. I bet that fuselage is twisted to hell. At least the tail stayed on it. We used to teach use of rudder in upset recovery in our AAMP program. Our crash of an Airbus 330(flt 587) taught us that this is not best way to recover. However these guys(C-130) were in flight test and one of the items must have been a envelope test of the side-slip with use of the rudder and aileron.
                    Clearly the test pilot went beyond the manufacture limits. If it was a constant "G" maneuver, I have no doubt that the C-130 could fly through the inverted position. This was an aggressive maneuver that exceeded that. Most rudder cross-over situations end in a stall-spin.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                      Yep, sounds like he put it into a spin that led to an inverted situation. I bet that fuselage is twisted to hell. At least the tail stayed on it. We used to teach use of rudder in upset recovery in our AAMP program. Our crash of an Airbus 330(flt 587) taught us that this is not best way to recover. However these guys(C-130) were in flight test and one of the items must have been a envelope test of the side-slip with use of the rudder and aileron.
                      Clearly the test pilot went beyond the manufacture limits. If it was a constant "G" maneuver, I have no doubt that the C-130 could fly through the inverted position. This was an aggressive maneuver that exceeded that. Most rudder cross-over situations end in a stall-spin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nes_Flight_587

Guess he thought he was Tex Johnston...
                      Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        The 707 in question never exceeded one g of stress on the airframe. It sounds like this poor bird went through several more g's than designed. The crew is fortunate to be alive. I hope it doesn't end the pilots career, though there appear to be mitigating factors.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                          I remember that DC10 doing a roll or two, didnt know a 707 did.

Comment

Tex Johnson

Tex Johnson, the Boeing Test Pilot rolls the Prototype aircraft!He gets a Bollocking, but gets away with it!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X