Trailer locks to deter thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer locks to deter thieves

I just bought a new utility trailer and I'm trying to figure out how to keep it secure. What do you guys use to lock up your trailers? I'm not really worried about it at the house because it'll be in a garage. I'm more worried when I'm parked at the atv trails. I'd hate to come back to a missing trailer.

How about a box that bolts around the hitch and has spline lug nuts to keep it from being taken off? I'm sure something similar is made, but I'm just thinking of something we could make.

We do offer Babaco alarms for commercial trailers.

The Most Trusted Name In Cargo Security Babaco, the market leader in logistics security and management solutions?since 1930, has a broad and innovative product line which includes automatic lock security,?bill of lading and proof of delivery apps,?proprietary alarm systems, GPS tracking and smart I/O devices, all designed to protect and eliminate loss. Contact Us Babaco […]

Comment

Take the wheels off.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I have a lock made by Reese that fits where the ball goes with another where the lock pin goes along with chains going through the rims and wraps around the springs. So far it hasn't been stolen. Can't have too many. The Reese lock tends to be tricky to unlock. Maybe needs lube inside the key cylinder

Comment

What I've always used.

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
            I have a lock made by Reese that fits where the ball goes with another where the lock pin goes along with chains going through the rims and wraps around the springs. So far it hasn't been stolen. Can't have too many. The Reese lock tends to be tricky to unlock. Maybe needs lube inside the key cylinder
            Like this:

If so, I've thought about getting one similar. How do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
              What I've always used.
              Lol.. Beat me to it.

Comment

Since some jerk stole my 16' trailer, I figure take off wheels. Not a great idea when at the trails though.

Bad ass tongue lock would be my second method.
                Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

When/if you come to D/FW, don't go through Alvarado with it.

Barring that, the yellow ones above seem to be a good deterrent.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

A big enough hammer and that yellow lock can be defeated. It isn't a bad deterrent for a passer by thief, however.

Also look into wheel boots. My FIL had a trailer stolen off a jobsite, went to boots on all his stuff and hasn't lost one since.

I always run a chain through the wheels and around the springs when I have to leave my trailer at the house overnight.
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                      A big enough hammer and that yellow lock can be defeated. It isn't a bad deterrent for a passer by thief, however.
                      This is all I would expect from it, just to deter the casual or opportunistic thief. Everyone should know, if a thief really wants something, he is going to figure out a way to take it.

That said, because my only trailer is primarily for camping and does go off-road, I still intend to have the tongue rebuilt to have a hitch receiver on the trailer as well, with 2 types of trailer attachments I can swap. One for on road (standard ball) and one multi-axis, for off-road. I figure that way I won't even need to bother with a ball lock type mechanism, as I can just remove the attachment from the trailer.

I have thought about buying a good cable or chain to run through the wheel, and may still do that either way.

For longer term 'storage' security, how about a wheel boot? Maybe pricey, and not sure if you can find them easily as a 'civilian'. Edit - after looking quickly, it seems you can get a lighter version for a reasonable price, but the more robust versions like tow companies and cops use are pretty expensive.

Comment

As said above, don't worry about thieves, just the guys in uniform. Bring your AK to defend against someone in uniform trying to steal your property.
                        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I've got a Master lock that goes into the hitch and is shielded around the top. Although the more I read/watch about master locks, I'll probably look for another.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                            This is all I would expect from it, just to deter the casual or opportunistic thief. Everyone should know, if a thief really wants something, he is going to figure out a way to take it.
                            That's the truth, thieves got me good while eating lunch at Pappaduex in Austin a few weeks ago. Almost feels pointless even locking the truck. I hope they enjoy the about $3k worth of stuff they got.

Comment

We use similar ones to these on our safes and shop doors.

The Sargent and Greenleaf(S&G) 951C Heavy Duty Padlock is currently used by the US military and other high security installs. The 951 features improvements on the popular 833C padlock including more advanced anti drill protection. It is the only padlock in the world that can resist liquid nitrogen attacks and it includes hardened ceramic inserts for additional protection against grinding.
                              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                              X