Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hiccupped after surgery? Reaction to Propofol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever hiccupped after surgery? Reaction to Propofol?

I had dental implant surgery last Wednesday and they put me under with a nice cocktail of Versed, Propofol, and Ketamine..

My God when the Versed comes in through the IV that must be what it feels like to go to Heaven.

Anyway I was under for about 6 hours and pretty loopy for the rest of the day and most of the next, but after about 24 hours I developed the hiccups, accompanied by spasms that lasted for almost 6 full days. The only thing that would quell them was eating ice cream. It felt like I had a severe case of heartburn. I was fucking miserable. I did some internet research and found quite a few similar cases of people having Propofol as the primary anesthesia and having the hiccups for several days afterward.

Something about the nerve that stimulates the diaphragm getting inflamed / irritated and the result being spasms and hiccups. I was told that I could go see my primary care physician and he could prescribe Thorazine and Haldol, which I was just about ready to do after 5 days of it. Like I said, ice cream would calm it down enough for me to relax and let me pain meds take over and let me rest, but if I got up to piss or did anything really at all to raise my BP or heart rate, there I was again having hiccups or spasms of the diaphragm in groups of 4 to 6... it felt like my esophagus had been massaged by a blowtorch.

Anyway they finally subsided but it was fucked up for a few days!

Probably wouldn't work with your issue but someone recommended taking a spoon of mustard to stop hiccups a few years back and it always works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Probably wouldn't work with your issue but someone recommended taking a spoon of mustard to stop hiccups a few years back and it always works for me.
      Man I tried every single remedy ever listed anywhere by anyone, I promise you. The mustard irritated the already inflamed esophagus and was painful.

Peanut butter actually worked for about a day. In the end my strategy was to eat about 2 scoops of ice cream while already being in the resting position and not have to move afterward. Something about the coolness and viscosity deadened or numbed the area enough to stop the spasms and I could quickly pass out from shear exhaustion for a few hours.

Damn it was fucking frustrating and the last complication I expected from this whole procedure. It hurt and literally wore me out physically.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
        I had dental implant surgery last Wednesday and they put me under with a nice cocktail of Versed, Propofol, and Ketamine..

My God when the Versed comes in through the IV that must be what it feels like to go to Heaven.

Anyway I was under for about 6 hours and pretty loopy for the rest of the day and most of the next, but after about 24 hours I developed the hiccups, accompanied by spasms that lasted for almost 6 full days. The only thing that would quell them was eating ice cream. It felt like I had a severe case of heartburn. I was fucking miserable. I did some internet research and found quite a few similar cases of people having Propofol as the primary anesthesia and having the hiccups for several days afterward.

Something about the nerve that stimulates the diaphragm getting inflamed / irritated and the result being spasms and hiccups. I was told that I could go see my primary care physician and he could prescribe Thorazine and Haldol, which I was just about ready to do after 5 days of it. Like I said, ice cream would calm it down enough for me to relax and let me pain meds take over and let me rest, but if I got up to piss or did anything really at all to raise my BP or heart rate, there I was again having hiccups or spasms of the diaphragm in groups of 4 to 6... it felt like my esophagus had been massaged by a blowtorch.

Anyway they finally subsided but it was fucked up for a few days!
        I never understood how someone could get addicted to heroin until the I was sedated via IV. Man what a feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
          I never understood how someone could get addicted to heroin until the I was sedated via IV. Man what a feeling.
          Indeed. And that Versed (midazolam) is like no other feeling on earth, it actually feels better than heroin, but I'd never chance it outside of a doctor's office, with its built in amnesia effect there is no telling what would happen if one was on his own and did a shot, LOL...

Comment

I hate that feeling. Cant stand it, and want to crawl out of my skin.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              I hate that feeling. Cant stand it, and want to crawl out of my skin.
              Man, the euphoria and warmth that you could immediately feel start spreading through your body was great.

Comment

Makes me think of that Louis CK but about the opiate he shoved in his ass.

Comment

Man, the euphoria and warmth that you could immediately feel start spreading through your body was great.
                  I got the warmth, I was sweating my ass off. Didnt get any euphoria, at all. Just a horrible feeling.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I got the warmth, I was sweating my ass off. Didnt get any euphoria, at all. Just a horrible feeling.
                    Congratulations! You won't be a heroin junky!

Just keep up the effort on being a future alcoholic.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                      Congratulations! You won't be a heroin junky!

Just keep up the effort on being a future alcoholic.
                      It's surprising to me, since I lost my dad and brother to heroin.

Comment

It's surprising to me, since I lost my dad and brother to heroin.
                        Damn, sorry to hear that. I've got an addictive personality, so I know better than to try any drugs that could possibly kill me. I'm afraid I'll like them too much.

Comment

I was put under before I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I remember going in with a stomach ache and needing to let one rip before surgery. All I remember is waking up and my stomach not hurting anymore. If I let one go during surgery, they had to have cleared the room for a bit because I know that shit smelled bad.....just thought I'd share.
                          .....bro....

Comment

Six hours seems like a long time to be under for dental surgery. Did you try asking your doctor about the hiccups?

Comment

It was suggested that I go to my PCP and get a script for Thorazine and Haldol but that was Friday afternoon and I didn't attempt to be seen. They were subsiding by Monday so I toughed it out.

During the surgery I was under care of anesthesiologist.. And yeah it was a muliti part surgery... Very involved.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X