any mastiff owners??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any mastiff owners??

Been really thinking about getting a cane Corso for the past year or so, anyone here have a mastiff??

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

yeah
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

How bad are their health problems?

Comment

depends greatly on the breeding.

I've had a couple over the years, and as bad as this may sound, I wont have another. They are cool dogs, my current one is getting up there in age... going on 8 years. My last was a boxer/mastiff, and lived to twelve (almost unheard of for a dog his size). But you get attatched to them, and they have one of the shortest life spans of the dog breeds.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have two Danes. They are awesome but yeah, life span is my biggest fear.
          QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Same here. She is getting to be around 8 or so and doing fairly well. I did have to put rugs all over the house so she wouldn't bust her but and hurt her hips as she gets older. Great dog, lots of slobber.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I have heard they are good with kids which is the main reason I want one, and a little dog won't have a chance against my 2 trouble makers

Comment

mine is good, as in he's sweet as can be, but really clumsy. That has been an issue, I have a daughter that's about to be 5 and a son that turned 3 this summer, and he's unintentionally and unknowingly knocked them over or slapped them with his tail so much that he tries to stay away from them so he doesn't make them cry. It's kinda sad to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  mine is good, as in he's sweet as can be, but really clumsy. That has been an issue, I have a daughter that's about to be 5 and a son that turned 3 this summer, and he's unintentionally and unknowingly knocked them over or slapped them with his tail so much that he tries to stay away from them so he doesn't make them cry. It's kinda sad to see.
                  Mastiff tail = deadly weapon. Will absolutely make you guard your nuts when they go by.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Lucky the Corso doesn't have a tail long enough for that

Comment

I had 2... We had to put down my girl last year and my boy this year. The girl made it to 10 while my boy was just about 10 (5 days away).

Great dogs... I loved everything about them. They were sweet, lazy and had great personalities. My boy Koda was 220lbs at his biggest and Mika, the girl, was 150lbs. They make great dogs, but they dont live that long. For their size, they eat less food than you would think as an adult. Puppies eat a lot but they grow really fast.

With their size, there are things you have to watch out for. THat big chest puts them at higher risk for bloat (needing emergency surgery). If they are very active, they are prone to knee problems. Between the 2 dogs, I paid for 3 ACL surgeries and they were $5000 a pop. Antibiotics always cost $200 a round due to their size. If you ever need an xray, its $500 because its $400 to put them to sleep and wake them back up.

Would I do it again? Probably. Id definitely get a rescue and would not buy a puppy.

Comment

Get a canary island dog, baddest thing with hair

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                          Turkish Kangal is the meanest dog I have ever seen. I really want one, they roar like a lion. Not sure my yard would contain one though might need a Jurassic Park set up.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Turkish Kangal is the meanest dog I have ever seen. I really want one, they roar like a lion. Not sure my yard would contain one though might need a Jurassic Park set up.
                            Do some reading on a canary island dog. I've wanted one for a long time but ol lady isn't having it

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                              We talking pound for pound or just straight fucking killing machines?

Comment

Working...
                              X