Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Springs

I see people post up all the time, and its in the opposite direction from anywhere I have been in the US, so we are making arrangements for a trip to Colorado Springs next summer.

So does anyone have any recommendations in the area? As much as I tried, we aren't going to be camping out, but I want to get out in nature as much as possible. So hiking, fishing, maybe swimming are what we are looking for.

Any caves in the area?

STRONGLY recommend driving over to Salida or Pueblo to get in some river rafting. You can't do the Royal Gorge with kids, but might be able to do Brown's Canyon? Absolutely stunning scenery.

Bishop's Castle is one of my favorite things in Colorado. Jim Bishop built a castle his father started. Built by hand. The guy is crazy as shit, as seen by the thousands of hand painted signs ranting about government. I used to go every summer, and I'd follow him around for hours talking to him while he worked. He's in poor health if he hasn't passed yet, and the castle has more or less been stolen from him by some scumbag. It's still something that should be seen in my opinion. Complete with a fire breathing dragon.

If you go to the castle, Lake San Isabel (nearby) is beautiful and you can fish, or rent paddle boats. There is a cafe on the lake as well. Both are within 90 minutes of Colorado Springs, and you could hit both and make a day of it.

The Air Force Academy is in Colorado Springs as well, and I've never been, but it's supposed to be cool. Also, Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods are a given.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Avoid 'cave if the winds'.
      Garden of the Gods is great.
      The cog railway up to pikes peak is actually pretty fantastic.

I lived there for two years and it was the best two yeara of my life
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        I see people post up all the time, and its in the opposite direction from anywhere I have been in the US, so we are making arrangements for a trip to Colorado Springs next summer.

So does anyone have any recommendations in the area? As much as I tried, we aren't going to be camping out, but I want to get out in nature as much as possible. So hiking, fishing, maybe swimming are what we are looking for.

Any caves in the area?
        Manitou Springs has more of the old school fee - hotel lodges/cabins, plus it sits at the base of Pikes Peak. If you time it right, DO the PPIHC Hill Climb race. It is also at the base of the Garden of the Gods, so you can hike through there, and is close to the National Forest lands, although they may still be restricted after the 2012 fires.

Get out of the cities though, go see Colorado, experience. Find dirt roads and go get lost.

Comment

When I was 16, we went to Crested Butte for a week, and it happened that we went during the wildflower festival. While we didnt do the wildflower walks and whatnot, there is a ton of things that are available to do somewhat unrelated to the festival itself, but going on at the same time. I did a horseback ride to in the mountains, a white water rafting trip, played a round of golf, climbed to the top of mount crested butte and mooned the city (that's just what you do, apparently). I passed on the hot air balloon ride, and wished I hadnt, but was running low on time and funds at that point. We were set for a 4x4 tour, but it was delayed and we took a refund and the trail map and did it in the rented expedition we had for the week. It was really just some dirt roads into the mountains and we had a blast.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I agree with Sean, if you're going to be in CO, get the heck out of the cities and forget the typical tourist spots. Rent a 4x4 if you don't already have one, and get away from the pavement and up into the high country. Colorado has TONS of public land, so the possibilities are endless.

Personally, I prefer the San Juans in Southwest Colorado. More remote, higher elevations, lots of hidden mining towns and challenging terrain. Do the Alpine Loop and check out Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton. Maybe even ride the train between Silverton and Durango. Crested Butte is cool, too, and you can go rafting or horseback riding out of nearby Almont. If you are in that area, don't skip Taylor Park, Tincup, and Mirror Lake. None of that stuff is close to CO Springs, though.

Oh, and btw, mid-September is the absolute best time to be in CO, in my opinion. That's when the fall colors are at their peak in the high country. Maybe a little later if you stay in the lower elevations. Mid-summer is typically warm, dry, and there are more tourists everywhere. Lake City puts on a wine festival in mid-September that is a good time for all ages.
            Last edited by jluv; 11-10-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              I agree with Sean, if you're going to be in CO, get the heck out of the cities and forget the typical tourist spots. Rent a 4x4 if you don't already have one, and get away from the pavement and up into the high country. Colorado has TONS of public land, so the possibilities are endless.

Personally, I prefer the San Juans in Southwest Colorado. More remote, higher elevations, lots of hidden mining towns and challenging terrain. Do the Alpine Loop and check out Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton. Maybe even ride the train between Silverton and Durango. Crested Butte is cool, too, and you can go rafting or horseback riding out of nearby Almont. If you are in that area, don't skip Taylor Park, Tincup, and Mirror Lake. None of that stuff is close to CO Springs, though.

Oh, and btw, mid-September is the absolute best time to be in CO, in my opinion. That's when the fall colors are at their peak in the high country. Maybe a little later if you stay in the lower elevations. Mid-summer is typically warm, dry, and there are more tourists everywhere. Lake City puts on a wine festival in mid-September that is a good time for all ages.
              yeah, but what do you know about colorado anyway?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                yeah, but what do you know about colorado anyway?
                Not enough! I wish I'd lived in CO my whole life. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Comment

Agreed with Jared and Sean. Colorado Springs is full of old people and strip malls. Go up in the mountains.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The shopping and staying in the city is my main concern. I have already expressed my displeasure with not camping. I am not driving 10 hours to walk around a mall.

I just hope we can find a happy medium with stuff we can do and stuff the kids can do. They are only going to be 6 and 3 by then.

Comment

Keep going and stop in Breckenridge. Take the kids down the alpine slide, go fishing in a stream (tons around), hike/bike in the mountains. Plenty to do just an hour or more past CS, no reason to leave a big city to drive 10 hours and hang out in another big city.
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                        Keep going and stop in Breckenridge. Take the kids down the alpine slide, go fishing in a stream (tons around), hike/bike in the mountains. Plenty to do just an hour or more past CS, no reason to leave a big city to drive 10 hours and hang out in another big city.
                        This. Alpine slide is worth every penny. Colorado Springs is basically Dallas.

Comment

I might be able to convince her to change the plans to Breckenridge.

I wouldn't want her to get any temptations from staying in Colorado Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta
                            Wolf Creek. Those who have been know what I'm talking about. Stay in Pagosa Springs, sit in the hot springs....ski in the best snow Colorado has to offer. All the big resorts like Durango (Purgatory), Breckenridge and Winter Park are always crowded with long lift lines. Wolf Creek usually has very little if any lines at all...and the place is HUGE. Best ski area in Colorado.
                            Wrong thread? There is one asking about ski resorts, but the OP in this one said he's looking to go in the summer time.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              Originally posted by ram57ta
                              Wolf Creek. Those who have been know what I'm talking about. Stay in Pagosa Springs, sit in the hot springs....ski in the best snow Colorado has to offer. All the big resorts like Durango (Purgatory), Breckenridge and Winter Park are always crowded with long lift lines. Wolf Creek usually has very little if any lines at all...and the place is HUGE. Best ski area in Colorado.
                              We're going to need you to try harder. It is right there in the first sentence.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X