Ski resort recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski resort recommendations?

I want to take my boys skiing the week after xmas. They are 14 and 8. Anybody have any good recommendations on what resort and where to stay? US only...thanks in advance.

I had a blast in red river, but thats definitely not one of the higher end places. The reason i chose it was because i didnt know if i would like skiing so i didnt want to drop a lot of money. It served that purpose perfectly.

Comment

Steamboat is by far my favorite. Its expensive to fly into though. Renting a house is the way to go!

Comment

Only time I've been is Heavenly in Tahoe. We had a blast.

Comment

Another vote for Steamboat.

Backup vote, though I've never been: Jackson Hole.
          Last edited by Strychnine; 11-10-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            I had a blast in red river, but thats definitely not one of the higher end places. The reason i chose it was because i didnt know if i would like skiing so i didnt want to drop a lot of money. It served that purpose perfectly.
            My grandparents owned a condo up there for many ears, it's a fun little town, and the mountain is on the easy side. Another plus is that Angelfire is an hour or so back around one side of the pass, and Taos is about the same the other way, so you could effectively ski a different mountain every day. Right at the base of the backside lift is a huge arcade/mini golf place, that I have really fond memories of as a kid.

With no longer having a free place to stay, of those three I'd probably suggest Angelfire. They've done a lot of updates in the last few years, so it's more of a "resort" type place, Red River is still an older quaint little mountain town in a lot of respects.

Another favorite of mine is Purgatory up in Durango, but being that you've got beginners with you, I don't know that it would be worth the extra drive.

If you're willing to fly, there are several ski areas in the mountains around Lake Tahoe. Ranging from barely better than a sled hill to a retired olympic village. My favorite being Heavenly.

Comment

Vail is fucking awesome. I went last Feb and got to stay in trammel crow's house. I am going back again this year for the same trip. It is very pricey but very nice.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Colby knows he isn't supposed to swing the poles like a bat, right???

Comment

If you haven't skied at night, I recommend it.
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Breck

Comment

Thanks...

I was looking at Beaver Creek but good grief they are expensive. I'm sure Vail is worse. We spent 10days in Breckenridge/Steamboat this summer for Colby's baseball and liked both places...but I am not sure how it would be in winter.

Billy, Colby hasnt touched his baseball gear since getting home from Colorado a few months ago. He took the fall off to play football and basketball. He is picking up with a team this coming weekend. Should be interesting.

Comment

Copper mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          Thanks...

I was looking at Beaver Creek but good grief they are expensive. I'm sure Vail is worse. We spent 10days in Breckenridge/Steamboat this summer for Colby's baseball and liked both places...but I am not sure how it would be in winter.

Billy, Colby hasnt touched his baseball gear since getting home from Colorado a few months ago. He took the fall off to play football and basketball. He is picking up with a team this coming weekend. Should be interesting.
                          That's awesome that he took a break. Jordan's team played only their second tournament this past weekend. They've had a few practices, but they were old school, developmental stuff. He's been working hard on basketball though and just made the 7th grade A team. He's pumped now and working to see how close he can get to dunking. I just laugh when he says that. Tell him good luck and to have fun. We have middle school matchup this weekend and then we're done. Jordan is excited because I'm coaching his team.

Oh, and I don't ski, but everyone I know loves Steamboat.

Comment

Alta, Utah is a great family place. No boarding allowed and kid friendly. On the other side of the mountain is Brighton and they have night skiing. Its a blast.

New snowfall, historical snowfall, hourly temperatures, mountain cams, forecasts and more will help you stay connected with Alta's most precious resource—snow.

Comment

Crested Butte

Comment

Working...
                              X