Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with an autistic child? Get in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a positive note my son with autism is the one who loves mustangs and helps out with it and loves when I can pick him up from school in it.
    2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
    1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by stang2be View Post
      On a positive note my son with autism is the one who loves mustangs and helps out with it and loves when I can pick him up from school in it.
      My son is obsessed with trains and cars. He's also very fascinated by wheels in general. He gets fixated on the train sounds though, and no external stimuli will distract him from that. It gets frustrating, to say the least.

Comment

Stopped getting vaccinated!!!!!

/s
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
          I'd get a second opinion and work on it at home first. Autism is so over diagnosed/medicated that I wouldn't trust one opinion.
          Terrible advice.

Originally posted by Denny
          My son tested within the autism spectrum, but not actually autistic. He has a sensory processing disorder. He is highly intelligent, so no insurance plan would ever cover any specialized treatment or learning. We had to do a ton of research and create an environment for learning, living, coping, etc.
          Same here. Age has helped a lot too. Still, it's hard to watch her be uncomfortable in her own skin, let alone trying to find clothes she can live with.

Comment

Originally posted by ftp View Post
            Someone should stomp your classless ass for that comment, that's not even funny.
            Relax, it wasnt that bad. Are you PC now?

Comment

suggesting a second opinion is never terrible advice.

Comment

StangTamer does indeed have at least one autistic child, possibly two? He also posted here not too long ago in the GTO thread in the garage. Might be worth shooting him a PM. He's certainly got a lot of experience at it.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                  suggesting a second opinion is never terrible advice.
                  Second opinion isn't, but "working on it at home" is. That would suggest that they aren't already and he's said that the month of therapy they've had is already showing results.

Early therapy is hugely important in dealing with Autism.

What is your experience on the subject again?

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post

What is your experience on the subject again?
                    My guess would be he's struggled with it his whole life.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                      My guess would be he's struggled with it his whole life.
                      i have 3 neices with learning disabilities, so i just know what i have seen with them.

Comment

Is autism the new ADD/ADHD? I know several people with children that are autistic. I know nothing about autism but my son had issues with speaking (2 yrs old) and it had the doc worried, they suggested speech therapy, someone came to our house and worked with him for like 6 months, I don't think it did anything he just naturally figured it out over time. My wife and I discussed it and if our daughter had the same "issues" we would just let it slide unless it got really bad.
                        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                          Is autism the new ADD/ADHD?
                          No.

Comment

My youngest son has a mild case of Schizencephaly (a rare brain disorder, check out info at wearerare.com). My insurance at work was so expensive (thanks obama) theres no way i could afford it. With the help of the above website and other groups we managed to get him on SSI/medicaid while im not a huge fan of the system it saved my ass on this one.

But definitely look into your local isd programs. And not just at one school, we enrolled our son into one school and quickly withdrew him and placed him into another school in the district. The difference is night and day, the teachers (some) that run those programs are a god send and are definitely doing it for the rewards and not the money.

Comment

My best friends son had severe autism. He suffered drop attack seizures, and passed away last year at age 16. He was diagnosed early, but the severity was not known at the time. He had so many issues in his life, it was very hard to watch. He had some success with a cetocenic(sp) diet. After watching several documentaries, CBD would have been an option for him due to the frequency of his seizures. At one point, he was having hundreds a day. By the time that treatment was an option, he was already gone.

Do not take this condition lightly. Do not try to work on him from home.

RIP Bryce. I still miss you little buddy.
                              The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                                He is no longer screaming every time one little thing is out of order.
                                Sounds like my 17mo daughter, I figured it was just her personality and we would be playing hardball with her if it continues. She is a complete contrast to my son. How old is your son?
                                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                                X