Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with an autistic child? Get in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with an autistic child? Get in here.

Yea, that happened..

Last week we got a formal diagnosis from a neuro psychologist that our son is autistic. The bad news is that he is a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. We had a good idea of what we were facing a couple of months ago, so I got our son enrolled in Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) Therapy and paid out of pocket. At the time, insurance said they wouldn't pay because we didn't have the formal diagnosis. His primary pediatrician gave a preliminary diagnosis of static encephalopathy. So I paid out of pocket.

Now, with a formal diagnosis, insurance says that my company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, had elected to not offer that kind of coverage. So now I have to continue paying $400 a week to keep our son in ABA therapy. I've contacted our companies HR advocacy and they are looking into it but I'm doubtful they'll cover it at this point.

So how about some good news. Our son's long term prognosis is good. The psychologist told us that his development depends on how well he responds to ABA treatment and his IQ. He is too young to really get a good IQ test but after much discussion, we realized that is IQ level is decent at the very least and he may be very intelligent. He has also responded rather well to ABA therapy after only a month. His behavior is slowly getting better. He is no longer screaming every time one little thing is out of order. Instead he is verbally asking for help (WOOHOO!). Things are slowly getting better and the 40 hours of therapy each week is giving my wife a much needed break.

If our son continues responding to ABA therapy, we think he'll miss his first year of kindergarten but may be able to attend normal school a year later.

So, if you have a child with Autism, can you tell me what you've been doing along the lines of insurance? Is your employer covering it or did you get other arrangements? Any advice is appreciated.

Have you checked out autismspeaks.org or http://www.autismhealthinsurance.org...dable-care-act

Comment

[sean88gt] trade him in [/sean88gt]

Comment

Originally posted by Memo View Post
        Have you checked out autismspeaks.org or http://www.autismhealthinsurance.org...dable-care-act

Just skimmed over that and it may be useful. I'll dig into it more tomorrow, thanks...

Comment

Pretty sure that stangtamer posted about having a child with autism but that was damned near 10 years ago and I haven't seen him over here. Perhaps someone from here still communicates with him.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
            Someone should stomp your classless ass for that comment, that's not even funny.

Comment

Holy shit
              2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by ftp View Post
                Someone should stomp your classless ass for that comment, that's not even funny.
                It was a little funny.

Comment

Not many companies cover ABA therapy. I know Capital One did but I couldnt tolerate some of their madness to stick around. I've got a 14yr old with autism that has been in the head start/no child left behind via the school district since he was 3. Catching it early I've heard is one of the best things you can do.
                  2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                  1990 GT Convertible

Comment

I'd get a second opinion and work on it at home first. Autism is so over diagnosed/medicated that I wouldn't trust one opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ftp View Post
                      It was more meant as a stab at me, and I laughed. There is humor in everything, if we choose to see it. Note, this is generally easier said than done, especially when you're the one going through it. But as to your comment, ftp, people have made a shit ton of money making light of other horrible things.

OP, how old is your kid?

Comment

My wife and I are expecting to hear the results for our son tomorrow. We went through our school district (on the recommendation of a few trusted people). We're looking forward to insight on how to work with him in some of the areas that are the most challenging for him, and us.....namely communication. Good luck, sir.

Comment

Best wishes to you and your family. How old is your son?

Comment

best of luck, and wow @ there already being 3 folks post in here who deal with autism.

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

When we mentioned this to our friends last month, the amount of help and empathy that we received really helped calm our nerves. The spectrum is so broad, everyone knows someone that has dealt with it.
                              Last edited by diablo rojo; 11-10-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X