How's this for a mind fu@k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this for a mind fu@k?

On October 14 of this year, I had a 45 minute phone conversation with my biological father and half brother, first time I ever spoke to him, or saw a pic of him (fb stalking) in my entire life.

And that was the last time I got to speak to him. He passed in his sleep Saturday night due to complications from COPD.

I spend all my life wondering if anyone was going to tell me anything about my father, but nobody did. And I, being the type of person who likes to avoid conflict, kept my mouth shut for fear of dredging up old memories and risk having to see my mother cry, or learn information that I really just didn't want to know.

Then my mother sends me a text on Oct 12 asking if I want to talk to him. Apparently he finally found her after all this time, and wanted to talk with me.

So, on the 14th, I called him up, and we had a pleasant conversation. I got to call someone "Dad" for the first time in my life.

Fast forward to Sunday, and he's gone. I'll never get the chance to meet my father in person, shake his hand, give him a hug. Which is messing with my mind something fierce. I don't know whether to cry like a bitch or beat myself up for not saying something sooner and trying to track him down myself.

The silver lining in all of this is that even though I lost my father (even though we only "knew" each other for those 45 minutes), after almost 34 years on this planet as an only child, I found out I have 2 half brothers and 2 half sisters. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

im sorry bro. that's gotta be tough.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I can't even imagine what a mind f**k that must be for you, but at least you were able to have those 45 min of father/son bonding even if it was just over the phone. Also, you have 4 new half siblings that I bet will thoroughly enjoy tell you all about him and answering any questions you might have. IMHO, there's absolutely no reason for you to beat yourself up. You're not to blame for him not being in your life - you didn't do anything wrong. My best friend had a similar situation with his mom, except he had about a year before she died. He felt very similar to the way you probably do - he was mad she didn't try to find him earlier, sad that she passed away and guilty for not doing something sooner. When it was all over he realized that he didn't cause the situation and he couldn't have fixed it even if he'd have want to. He's chosen to be happy for the time he had. I hope you'll feel that way soon.

Comment

Sorry for you loss...but I am sure that he knew his time was near and reached out to you. At least you got to speak to him beforehand. Some never get that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
          Sorry for you loss...but I am sure that he knew his time was near and reached out to you. At least you got to speak to him beforehand. Some never get that chance.
          This x 1,000. I'd loved to have had a better conversation with my mother before she passed.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Why was he out of your life for such a long time? Any bitterness towards your mom?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
              Why was he out of your life for such a long time? Any bitterness towards your mom?
              None at all. From what I have gathered, she wanted me, but just didn't want to be in a relationship with him, so a few weeks after I was born, she left Arizona for Texas feeling she was doing the right thing. He and one of my brothers showed up at the door wanting to be a part of my life when I was 3, but my mom told him they had no business being there (she had just started a relationship with my step dad) and they left. She just figured she could give me a better life without him in the picture than with him.
              "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Very sorry to hear that, but like mentioned you have 4 new siblings to learn about him through. Condolences to you and your family all the same.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

I'm sure in a strange way it will be great getting to you your dad and your half siblings at the same time through the stories they'll be able to share with you.
                  An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

hows your relationship with your stepdad?

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                      hows your relationship with your stepdad?
                      He's an asshole. A bitter, hateful asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                        Agreed.

Had a very similar scenario with my father. Glad he reached out, and that I didn't hold the grudge any longer than I did.

Good you were able to at least have the brief moment, fleeting as it was, with him.

David

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Happy for your gain.
                          Try and focus on the gain.
                          The loss was purely outside of your control.

Sucks to hear you grew up with a bitter asshole. Maybe you'll learn some cool things about your Dad to offset all of those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            This x 1,000. I'd loved to have had a better conversation with my mother before she passed.
                            Same here, my dad died of lung cancer when I was 1500 miles from home.
                            I kept thinking we had some time left, So much I still wanted to talk about with him. now wish i had spent more time with him. never got the chance to tell him good bye, My mom and him made the choice for cremation no viewing or funeral.

Glad you at least had the chance to talk to him,

Comment

Working...
                            X