WWDFWMD? C7 or GT350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any interest in the 2016 Camaro?
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Religion View Post
      I don't think so because they're not ridiculously overpriced.
      I do. People think anything with a Shelby name will increase in value like the real Shelby's from the mid 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
        I do. People think anything with a Shelby name will increase in value like the real Shelby's from the mid 60's.
        More young people will be able to afford them and I don't see them doing that. but yeah you're always going to have that with cars like this.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          Fugly.

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
            Voted GT350 but honestly neither are very good daily drivers.
            If next year is your time frame, then add a '17 GT500.

David
            This car will be be a bit of a garage queen, I work from home most of the time, so my commute is less than 3 miles to the gym every day. I do travel occasionally, and I'll take the X4 for road trips. Perhaps I'm getting older, but I no longer care to listen to a car's exhaust for hours at a time, and I have to take calls when I'm in the car quite often when I do travel.

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            Feigning. I'll definitely go look at them when the time comes, but I prefer the lines of the Mustang at that price point, and would save a few pennies with the Ford.

Comment

I'd find a nice 911 and just cruise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                I'd find a nice 911 and just cruise it.
                I've looked at them, but I don't want an N/A example if I go that route, and the turbo models come at a premium. The older body style that's in my price range looks weird out back.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  Huh? The whole premise of the flat plane crank is it requires less balancing than a cross plane and therefore able to rev to the moon.
                  Less counterweight, yes. But there are different types of vibration in an engine

Half order vibrations are generated by small cylinder to cylinder differences in timing/pressure

First order vibrations are directly related to crankshaft balance - and this is where the flat plane will excel.

Second order vibrations come from the motion of the rods and pistons. In the flat-plane, each bank is basically its own inline-4 engine (two pistons at TDC and two at BDC simultaneously), and we know those have vibration issues because there is a lack of rotational balance (non-sinusoidal motion of the wristpin blah blah which is why some I-4 engines have counterbalance shafts in the block). This is the hardest to dampen, and this is where Ford had big troubles when developing this engine. This is where they had to get into lightweight pistons/rods and shorter strokes.

Raj Nair, Ford’s Group Vice President of Global Product Development:
                  Flat-plane-crank engines have limitations. First, the lack of counterweight balancing typically limits cylinder displacement to about 4.5-4.6-L due to greater second-order vibration. Ford has solved that in the 5.2-L application with a new crankshaft-mounted damper system and extraordinary attention to NVH abatement during the design and prototype phases. According to Nair, the engine program (which was concurrent with GT350 vehicle development) nearly wasn’t approved for production.

This [vibration] was our biggest engineering challenge even after we had the first prototype,” Nair noted. “Things were breaking and the technical guys were worried. Whether or not we continued down the flat-plane-crank path for GT350 came down to a critical prototype drive we had scheduled. After that drive, we all went into a meeting room for the debriefing. And we unanimously concluded that we simply had to have this motor! We were determined to solve the issues.”

What followed was, in Nair’s words, “a lot of stiffening of the cylinder block, exhaust system, and various brackets” achieved through an intense FEA analysis, plus “a lot of tuning.” Nair said the result yielded unique torsional-damping technology among other patent-pending actions aimed at taming the beast.

Just for fun, in case anyone doesn't know the difference:

Here's a crossplane* V8 - this is the common design we all know.

Here's a flat plane V8

Comment

Oh, and my two cents, I'd do the GT350.

Mostly for the engine.

Comment

I voted C7, but I don't really know why. I think the ass end on them is hideous.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Just for fun, in case anyone doesn't know the difference:

Here's a crossplane* V8 - this is the common design we all know.

Here's a flat plane V8

Dancing marshmallows. Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                          Dancing marshmallows. Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            I voted C7, but I don't really know why. I think the ass end on them is hideous.
                            When the SN95 came out in the '94 model year, I thought that the entire car was so far off the mark and weird looking. Fast-forward to '98, and they had grown on me to the point that I wanted one.

As a much more extreme example, it was the same for me with the Bugatti nose as it is now with the C7 ass. Not that I'll ever own one, but when you look at the entirety of the Bugatti, its engineering and performance, then the nose looks a tad more intentional, and as such a necessary part of the bigger picture.

Lord knows I've dated my share of flat-assed chicks because of their nice rack and pretty face.

Comment

Matt gettin all technical n shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                                Lord knows I've dated my share of flat-assed chicks because of their nice rack and pretty face.
                                LMAO, that analogy says a lot.

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                                Matt gettin all technical n shit.
                                That's how he do, and part of why he's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X