• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockbuster may be bought out

Icahn, Monarch Said to Target Blockbuster for Possible Buyout
    By Linda Sandler and Tiffany Kary - Feb 10, 2011 11:01 PM CT inShare5More
    Business Exchange Buzz up! Digg Print Email

Blockbuster, based in Dallas, filed for bankruptcy with the outline of a reorganization plan supported by senior bondholders.

Creditors including billionaire Carl Icahn and Monarch Alternative Capital LP are said to be targeting Blockbuster Inc., the bankrupt movie-rental company, in a possible buyout for less than $300 million, a person familiar with the matter said.

Icahn and Monarch are Blockbuster creditors who helped to finance the bankruptcy, making them potential candidates to buy the company, said the person, who declined to be identified because the discussions are private. Icahn and Michael Weinstock, managing principal at New York-based Monarch, didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment after regular business hours yesterday.

Blockbuster, based in Dallas, filed for bankruptcy on Sept. 23 with the outline of a reorganization plan supported by senior bondholders. The company’s deadline for filing a plan and a disclosure statement explaining it has been extended several times. Summit Entertainment LLC, a film distributor and Blockbuster creditor, said last week that Blockbuster isn’t paying its bills and should be liquidated.

“It’s hard to say this debtor is anything but insolvent,” U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland said last month at a hearing in Manhattan.

Martin Sosland, a lawyer for Blockbuster, declined to comment on whether the company might be sold or at what price.

Icahn Purchases
    The 74-year-old Icahn led a proxy fight in 2005 that put him on the video-rental chain’s board. He resigned as director in January and in March sold most of his 16.9 percent common- share stake, according to a regulatory filing. He later bought about a third of the company’s senior bonds, according to the person familiar with the matter.

Icahn on Jan. 27 asked Lifland to dismiss a lawsuit filed by creditor Lyme Regis Partners that claims the billionaire used inside information to convert his equity stake in Blockbuster to debt in a bid to take control of the company after it reorganizes.

Blockbuster, which last reported a profit in the first quarter of 2009, posted a net loss of $53.5 million on sales of $736.6 million in the third quarter of 2010. Cash and cash equivalents stood at $52 million as of Oct. 3, the company said in a regulatory filing.

Sosland said Jan. 20 that company wasn’t looking for more money and hadn’t drawn from the $125 million debtor-in- possession loan that is funding operations in bankruptcy.

Summit Debt
    Blockbuster owes Summit $9.5 million, including $1.6 million for DVDs of “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” and said it wouldn’t pay for products shipped after the bankruptcy filing because it “lacked the funds to do so,” according to Summit’s Feb. 3 court filing.

Blockbuster, with about 3,000 stores in the U.S., said in September that sales shrank in recent years while Netflix Inc. grew by renting movies online and through the mail, and Coinstar Inc. put Redbox DVD vending machines in supermarkets and drugstores.

The company listed assets of $1.02 billion and debt of $1.46 billion when it sought court protection. Holders of 80 percent of the $630 million in 11.75 percent senior-secured notes supported the outline of its reorganization plan, Blockbuster said.

Under the proposed plan, there would be no recovery by holders of the company’s outstanding subordinated debt, preferred stock or common stock, according to a statement. Blockbuster anticipated it would pay something to unsecured creditors, court papers show.

Store Closings
    Lifland on Jan. 20 approved Blockbuster’s requests to close stores, reject unexpired leases and sell inventory, after hearing that objections by several landlords were resolved. The company plans to close 110 underperforming stores by the end of this quarter, according to court papers.

Since the bankruptcy filing, Blockbuster has rejected leases on at least 220 locations, most of which were closed beforehand, and by the end of 2010 had shuttered another 72 stores. Blockbuster has until April 21 to decide which unexpired leases at its stores to reject.

“I wonder just what the legs are for this debtor to go forward after April 21,” Lifland said at the Jan. 20 hearing.

The company was founded in 1985, and grew to serve almost 47 million customers daily in the U.S. and 16 other countries. Viacom Inc., which owns the Paramount film studio, bought Blockbuster from Wayne Huizenga for $8.4 billion in 1994, then spun it off to shareholders in 2004.

The case is In re Blockbuster, 10-14997, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

To contact the reporter on this story: Linda Sandler in New York at lsandler@bloomberg.net; Tiffany Kary in New York at tkary@bloomberg.net.

Hell, who'd want them? Netflix could probably buy them out of petty cash, but why take on all the liability? It's now proven that you don't need storefronts to rent out DVD's, especially if you're streaming the shit in!

Comment

I didn't even think they were still around

Comment

Good think I still have all that stock in Major Video!

Comment

Blockbuster is still around?
          Originally posted by Da Prez
          Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
          Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
            I sank all my money into Video Update a while back.

Anyway, Icahn wants Blockbuster for the name and the name only. It appears that is what he is going to get. I'm sure he thinks that if he and his pals can just get the right marketing scheme in place they can compete with Netflix and Coinstar. Personally I wouldn't touch it but it wouldn't suprise me if they pull it off.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
              Blockbuster is still around?
              That's what I was thinking, haven't stepped foot in one in about 4 years. Netflix and Redbox ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                Hell, who'd want them? Netflix could probably buy them out of petty cash, but why take on all the liability? It's now proven that you don't need storefronts to rent out DVD's, especially if you're streaming the shit in!
                X2

Comment

Lots of them are closing around the metroplex and selling all the new release rentals for 9.99 each, or if you sign up for a free month of blockbuster online rentals, you get 4 of the 9.99 movies for free.
                  --Marcus

Comment

And Dish Network is the sucker. $320 million seems like a lot for them, IMO.

Geor, your thoughts?

Last edited by mstng86; 04-06-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post

I prefer RST Video myself. Even if they always open an hour late...

Comment

Video Premier off Mockingbird right in front of the transit station seems to be doing very well.... Just sayin' might be $4 a rental but worth every penny. BIG selection movies.

I also use DirecTV, Nextflix & redbox.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          And Dish Network is the sucker. $320 million seems like a lot for them, IMO.

Geor, your thoughts?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...0-million.html
                          My thoughts are that I could care less. I'm not sure what Dish Network can do to turn that company around, but at that point, I'm not sure how Blockbuster's debt will be handled. If they assume zero debt, they can probably be marginally profitable. If the debt is transferred with the sale, they are doomed.
                          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                            My thoughts are that I could care less. I'm not sure what Dish Network can do to turn that company around, but at that point, I'm not sure how Blockbuster's debt will be handled. If they assume zero debt, they can probably be marginally profitable. If the debt is transferred with the sale, they are doomed.
                            What is your beef with them anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              I prefer RST Video myself. Even if they always open an hour late...
                              not bad

Comment

Working...
                              X