Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I can tell that I can trust you" after you've known each other for 5 mins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I can tell that I can trust you" after you've known each other for 5 mins.

Iv gone out and talked to dozens of business owners about mobile mechanic work. A lot of them tell me some sort of iteration of "I like you and I know that I can trust you". At first I was all proud of myself and thinking that I make really good first impressions. But then I started thinking about it and Im pretty sure this is a sales ploy that really means "I think I can could make money off of you". Iv started to realize that all of these guys that say this usually follow up with some sort of offer to do business with each other.
    Im wondering if any of yall have the same sort of thing happen and agree or am I just over analyzing it?

Trust is expensive.

Comment

I can get a pretty quick read on most people, but trust doesn't come in 5 minutes. I would find it suspicious if someone told me that they trusted me that quickly.

Comment

Yep...theyre buttering ya up

Comment

If they're not on this board, I wouldn't trust them.

Comment

Mobile mechanics typically have stronger word of mouth than anything else. Most of the time I have customers tell me who does their work.

At the same time though I do get a few that try to hustle, basically just walking up to people at gas stations trying to sell themselves to do cheap work on cars

Comment

In my world (consulting/sales) people do business with who they like and trust, and most often it's not just about the best price or the best "widget," as value is completely subjective.

Depending on what the business proposition is, they could be buttering you up, but if you are a genuine person people then pick up on that, and in certain situations that's exactly what they are looking for.

I would think that with the number of shady and/or incompetent mechanics out there, it's refreshing for people to come across one that's seemingly trustworthy, effective, and efficient. If you have none of those qualities, then it's a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                If they're not on this board, I wouldn't trust them.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                  ...basically just walking up to people at gas stations trying to sell themselves to do cheap work on cars
                  You guys are always making me glad I don't live near the metroplex. Maybe I'm a dick but I just don't like shystie ass people walking up to me at the gas station.
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    You guys are always making me glad I don't live near the metroplex. Maybe I'm a dick but I just don't like shystie ass people walking up to me at the gas station.
                    Yeah they will run up to a car when they hear the brakes squeaking when people pull into the pump. It's really not a bad way to get a customer but these types of people are the ones who use a prepaid cell phone, and not the type you would leave your car unattended with

Comment

Hate that. I have a guy that literally lives at my carwash and he approaches me every time trying to solicit dent repair (I have none) that he does out of the back of a shitty truck behind the carwash.

I have told him no 20 times yet he approaches me every time and I always rudley tell him no. He loves to try and talk while the water is running and the counter is very close to zero. ( I was polite the first 5 times)

I'm a memorable dude, with a memorable truck. But I'm starting to think that to Eastern European immigrants, we must all loog the same.
                      sigpic

Comment

I can't trust someone in 5 minutes, but I can sure as hell tell to distrust them.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                          I'm a memorable dude, with a memorable truck. But I'm starting to think that to Eastern European immigrants, we must all loog the same.
                          Probably look like a rich target that has a lot more money than they do. I can't stand that type of shit. I'd find a new car wash.

But back to the op, I have had people say that a time or two in that time frame, and yeah it never feels genuine. Gives you a feeling like something isn't right. Probably cause its not. Its a weird thing to say to someone, and likely indicates that they really need to hone their people skills.
                          WH

Comment

Make your friends and enemies rich and then figure out which is which.

Comment

I can't stand the PDR guys. I literally had to run them out of the parking lot because they were spray painting a white honda accord with my cheapest rustoleom paint in the parking lot. Don't ever ever ever trust some one to fix a dent because it will be 90% bondo and autozone rattle can rustoleom. And btw that was at my north plano store not even close to being in the hood

Comment

Working...
                              X