No announcement yet.

Fabrication shops that work with brass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabrication shops that work with brass?

I'm trying to find someplace to have brass rod turned to 20mm OD and the inside threaded to M10-1.5 and then braised to another piece of brass. Anyone know of any shops in the area that might have brass rod or bar stock that would do something like this?

End goal I'm trying to get a piece of brass from an M61 turned into a shift knob for my Jeep but the JB weld solution has long since failed and I want something more permanent.
    Last edited by bottlerocket; 09-30-2015, 05:10 PM.

What area?

Comment

Anywhere in DFW, north by Wichita Falls, out west towards Abilene. I don't care if I have to mail it. Just want to have it done.

Comment

Any machinest should be able to handle that imho.

Comment

The trick is finding the bar stock. I don't have that in my possession. Most what I've seen online is on Ebay overseas.

Comment

How long does it need to be?

Bar stock is easy to get...but maybe not for the price you want. You could also cnc from rectangular bar stock or sheet stock.

Comment

Search for brass rod instead of bar...bar can mean a lot of different cross sections.

Comment

Any musical instrument repair shop can do that.

Comment

Why does it have to be brass? Couldn't you take a bolt with the correct thread pitch, apply some release agent and then fill the shell with epoxy or something similar and insert the bolt? Once cured you'd have a filled shell with the correct threads.
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                    Why does it have to be brass? Couldn't you take a bolt with the correct thread pitch, apply some release agent and then fill the shell with epoxy or something similar and insert the bolt? Once cured you'd have a filled shell with the correct threads.
                    Theres like an entire order of magnitude in difference between the strength of an epoxy and the strength of brass. Also, female threads are not the same as an imprint of male threads.

Comment

Well shit, nobody tell my shiftknob that, I'd hate for it to fall off after all of 12 years.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                        Well shit, nobody tell my shiftknob that, I'd hate for it to fall off after all of 12 years.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
                        First off...are you telling me you have done exactly as you mentioned?

Secondly,

Some people enjoy the finer things in life. Not white trash engineered hack jobs.

Comment

Try this...I use rectangular bronze from time to time and this is where i get it from

Comment

How long does the piece need to be? I might be able to do something

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              First off...are you telling me you have done exactly as you mentioned?

Secondly,

Some people enjoy the finer things in life. Not white trash engineered hack jobs.
                              So much anger and a fair amount of douchery. As long as it works, what difference does it make to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X