Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lawsuit against community college/business entity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawsuit against community college/business entity?

Looking for information in regards to the title and figured I'd ask the minds here at DFWM. I won't be able to post many details until later this week unfortunately but the basic premise is that I attend a community college, and the college and outside entity contracted to facilitate the program I am in were unable to get us finished and left us hanging (service paid for not delivered). The end result is that we wasted our money and time and will be receiving a grade of "F" through literally no fault of our own. A "comparable" situation would be, you've taken a class, you are a stellar student, straight A's the whole semester and when you come in for the final the teacher doesn't show up and you fail the course due to not taking a final worth 50% of your grade. The college says, "sucks to be you," and you get an "F." This situation is further complicated because you use FAFSA/GI Bill/whatever who's benefits are dependent on a "C" average by the student. I will post names and more specifics later this week after we met the school.

My questions are: Can you file a lawsuit against a community college? If a company is contracted by the school can you file suit against the company or do I have to file suit through the school to get through the company? What kind of an attorney would even handle such a case? Is a college contractually obligated to a student through a course/certification is paid for?

Sorry for the vagueness but I promise to bring everyone up to speed later. There may be some of you on here who know what I'm talking about, and if you do please keep it to PMs and such. Myself and my fellow students are in a bad spot and don't have many cards to play.

You can sue a college, it happens often. Basically the course you signed up for and have been taking refuses to offer the completion of the course so it is harming your GPA and causing issues with your GI bill?

Sounds like you could sue for the class to be dropped from your calculated gpa, reimbursement for the semester and books.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      You can sue a college, it happens often. Basically the course you signed up for and have been taking refuses to offer the completion of the course so it is harming your GPA and causing issues with your GI bill?

Sounds like you could sue for the class to be dropped from your calculated gpa, reimbursement for the semester and books.
      Short story, yes. Most of us in the program are Veteran/Students but there are a few who are self funded to varying degrees, most of which are utilizing FAFSA.

Comment

The argument could be made for the loss of time, cost of books and supplies, fuel to get to a class that did not finish, basic things directly associated with their failure to hold up their end of the contract.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Would completion lead to a certification or graduation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Would completion lead to a certification or graduation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
            @forever frost, that would be ide but for now would just like my money back and my grade not be an F.

@black2002 this semester would have led to a cert/license, with the cumulative program being an associates degree and multiple licenses.

Comment

I would think that if you have paid for it with GI bill money that the VA would be able to give you some advice and support. Surely this has happened before.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                I would think that if you have paid for it with GI bill money that the VA would be able to give you some advice and support. Surely this has happened before.
                Doubtful, although I will be calling them in the morning. They cut our funding half way through the semester hence why I've been paying out of pocket for the program. Not mcj faith in them as an organization to not stick it to us

Comment

Working...
                X