FBI - 5.6M estimated to have fingerprints stolen in breach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI - 5.6M estimated to have fingerprints stolen in breach

I wonder if this was internal employees only or include fingerprints of americans that have submitted fingerprints to FBI for one reason or another. Suck.

The Office of Personnel Management announced Wednesday that 5.6 million people are now estimated to have had their fingerprint information stolen,

The Office of Personnel Management announced Wednesday that 5.6 million people are now estimated to have had their fingerprint information stolen.

That number was originally thought to be about 1.1 million, OPM said in a statement. About 21.5 million individuals had their Social Security Numbers and other sensitive information affected by the hack.
    China blasts 'irresponsible' US over breach charge

According to OPM, "federal experts believe that, as of now, the ability to misuse fingerprint data is limited." The office acknowledged, however, that future technologies could take advantage of this information.

An interagency working group—to include FBI, Department of Homeland Security and Defense Department representatives—plans to review the implications of the stolen fingerprint data, according to OPM.

Read More Sex, lies and debt potentially exposed by US data hack

U.S. officials have privately blamed the breach on Chinese government hackers, but they have avoided saying so publicly. For its part, Beijing has denied any involvement.

Officials also have said no evidence has surfaced yet suggesting the stolen data has been abused, though they fear the theft could present counterintelligence problems.

—Reuters contributed to this report.
    WRX

and den...

With Little Fanfare, FBI Ramps Up Biometrics Programs (Yet Again)—Part 1

"This change will impact a broad swath of Americans. It’s not just prospective police officers or childcare workers who have to submit to fingerprint background checks. In Texas, for example, you’ll need to give the government your prints if you want to be an engineer, doctor, realtor, stockbroker, attorney, or even an architect. The California Department of Justice says it submits 1.2 million sets of civil prints to the FBI annually. And, since 1953, all jobs with the federal government have required a fingerprint check—not just for jobs requiring a security clearance, but even for part-time food service workers, student interns, designers, customer service representatives, and maintenance workers.

The FBI seems to think we should all be OK with this because it has (ostensibly) given people notice and because the program is limited to only those people who are required by federal or state rules to provide prints. But in many parts of the country, this could amount to a very large percentage of workers (including each and every attorney at EFF)—and for many people, especially the poor and underemployed, opting out of this program by choosing a different line of work is truly a not a choice at all.

This is not OK. The government should not collect information on Americans for a non-criminal purpose and then use that same information for criminal purposes—in effect submitting the data of Americans with no ties to the criminal justice system to thousands of criminal searches every day. This violates our democratic ideals and our societal belief that we should not treat people as criminals until they are proven guilty."
    WRX

Comment

So as it was announced this increase in biometric data harvesting, then comes a breach the same week.
      WRX

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Of what use would finger print data be, god forbid they unlock my wife's I phone

Comment

When is someone gonna steal my fucking credit report and make THAT SHIT disappear.
            .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
              Of what use would finger print data be, god forbid they unlock my wife's I phone

Comment

Just checked and I still have mine.

CN

Comment

Working...
                X