Windshield replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield replacement

I need to replace the windshield on my wife's Infinity. I called Safelite and they want about $800 installed, then I called another windshield replacement guy and he wants $305 installed. He was using Pilkington glass. I don't mind saving a bunch of money, but at the same time, I want something just as durable and resistant to rock chips as the factory glass.

I had searched on here and found a suggestion to use Carlite, so I asked him and he said Carlite only make Ford glass. Anyone have any knowledge of factory-like glass for Infinity's?

For that price difference, I'd go with the cheaper option. You could do that replacement twice and still be money ahead.

Comment

good point! If anything, I'll address any rock chips asap since that is what led to a trashed windshield to begin with.

Comment

Cheapest thing to do is replace for $305 and tell your wife to stop driving behind construction trucks.

Actually, cheapest thing to do is not have a wife!

Comment

Auto Glass Connection  
          Address: 2821 W Division St, Arlington, TX 76012
          Phone: (817) 548-1993

These guys gave me a great price on a F150 windshield.

Comment

my cts-v has a pilkington windshield in it and it doesnt have any waves in it or anything funky. The oem acura windshield in my old TL was trash so OEM isnt always better. id ask to see the glass before it was installed so you can look for defects if it bugs you that much

Comment

Infiniti

Comment

No insurance? I know with Farmers they contracted Safelite to do repairs for free and we only had to pay $100 for windshield replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                  my cts-v has a pilkington windshield in it and it doesnt have any waves in it or anything funky. The oem acura windshield in my old TL was trash so OEM isnt always better. id ask to see the glass before it was installed so you can look for defects if it bugs you that much
                  that's good to know. I'll check it out before installation.

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                  Infiniti
                  Dang it!....

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  No insurance? I know with Farmers they contracted Safelite to do repairs for free and we only had to pay $100 for windshield replacement.
                  Our deduct for replacement is still $500. I plan to shop for lower insurance rates soon so I don't want to have the claim so yeah, not using insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    cheapest thing to do is replace for $305 and tell your wife to stop driving behind construction trucks.

Actually, cheapest thing to do is not have a wife!
                    lmao!

Comment

There are other windshield threads on here. The cheapest glass is going to be wavy and may have visual issues.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                        There are other windshield threads on here. The cheapest glass is going to be wavy and may have visual issues.
                        I remember reading that on here, but couldn't remember if it's just ascetics or are they not as safe when in a crash, as far as shattering or whatever ?
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                        11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

^^^the problem is the wavy-ness can almost cause a crash. I remember a previous car I had a replacement glass installed had some bad waves on the passenger side. It would throw my vision off any time I looked that way and then quickly looked back in front of me.

I wasn't looking for the cheapest. Just trying to figure out the difference. The guy is coming tomorrow so ill inspect it before installation.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                            I need to replace the windshield on my wife's Infinity. I called Safelite and they want about $800 installed, then I called another windshield replacement guy and he wants $305 installed. He was using Pilkington glass. I don't mind saving a bunch of money, but at the same time, I want something just as durable and resistant to rock chips as the factory glass.

I had searched on here and found a suggestion to use Carlite, so I asked him and he said Carlite only make Ford glass. Anyone have any knowledge of factory-like glass for Infinity's?
                            Carlite is not a manufacturer of glass .its a label that they stick on it .Some of the oem glass makers are PGW and Fuyao out of China .PGW make a lot stamped mopar and for chevys. Most of our CArlite glass is made by Fuyao.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                              that's good to know. I'll check it out before installation.

Dang it!....

Our deduct for replacement is still $500. I plan to shop for lower insurance rates soon so I don't want to have the claim so yeah, not using insurance.
                              he's referring to the glass package with farmer's. if you don't have a similar option with your current carrier then your comp deductibles would apply. but with the glass package, you can get chips and small cracks filled free and if it needs replaced then there is only a $100 deductible to meet. doesn't count as a claim either, plus its only around $6 per 6 months, totally worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X