Sold car 5 years ago, now getting toll bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
    File a VTR dated when you sold it. I submitted mine in 2013 (5 years later). The DMV sent me a VTNC letter stating I no longer owned it as of 2008. I sent that to the billing company and they left me alone.
    ^^^^^ This

I've sold plenty of cars and never had an issue so I never really thought about it. October of last year I sold a coupe to someone from the board and they sold it to someone else who never changed the title to their name. I've filled out the online form and printed out the proof of title transfer form but I am still getting tolls from all over Texas. I have to contact the toll company and fax/e-mail them the form stating I sold the car after that they tell me not to worry about it. I will never sell another car with plates on it!
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Go on the DMV website and fill out a release of liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        Yeah, had a guy bought a car from me, handed me the cash, I signed the title and started unscrewing the plates. He started getting pissed because he was going to flip it and I didn't give a rats ass.
        And this is a good example of why you should always take the plates off. This forces the person who is buying it from you to register it in their name and prevent title jumping.

Comment

Just had this happen to me and followed what Teeshock said. NTTA told me to go to txDOT to do it, took 48 hours and the charges were gone. But fuck illegals.
          Last edited by Sean88gt; 09-04-2015, 08:17 AM.

Comment

ALWAYS remove your plates during a car sale and mail in the top portion on your title to levitate you of any issues down the road....

Comment

Originally posted by slowturbocar View Post
              ALWAYS remove your plates during a car sale and mail in the top portion on your title to levitate you of any issues down the road....
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It's not just private sales. I traded in my old Suburban at Reliable Chevrolet and I still get a registration renewal notice 6 months later.

Always assume the buyer won't do the title transfer and protect yourself by doing the paperwork yourself.

Comment

Sold my car back in 2011 to a coworkers wife's friend. Told them I'll sell it to there buddy but I'm pulling the plates and registration sticker. Coworkers wife text me begging to not remove plates because of some sob story about he needs to visit his son this weekend blah blah blah. Long story short sold him the car didn't remove plate or reg sticker. Year later get about $25 bill in tolls and had a creditor calling me telling me to pay him $600 for tow fee on car that wasn't claimed after extended amount of time and was sold at auction. Showed ntta and faxed title transfers to creditor and everything got squashed. Lesson learned take the plates and sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    Lol, ya looks about right....stupid phone.

Comment

and btw, make sure to remove your plates.

but leave the sticker though its useless without the plates.

plates plates plate. word has lost all meaning

Comment

I know a guy that keeps accumulating vehicles and never transfers the reg and racks up tolls for the sellers.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X