Legal question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal question?

Had a gym membership. The gym was sold to another company. After a couple months, that company relocated out of the city. Im still being billed by the original company. My contract says to contact the original company to cancel my membership though they are gone, the new company no longer resides at the address on my contract.

Is this legal?

i wanna make a no flex zone joke, but i cant get my head around it.

That situation sounds bunk AF, but if you are still dealing with it, it doesn't seem like you will do anything further. so maybe google the new adress, and go do bikram yoga there?

Comment

no more Pizza Mondays at the gym!

Comment

I can't think of any reason why this would be illegal, but I'm no Sean.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Maybe you can request an ach block on your account from that vendor.

Just thinking in banking terms.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            Maybe you can request an ach block on your account from that vendor.

Just thinking in banking terms.
            That way they can report it on his credit...good call

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              That way they can report it on his credit...good call
              I scrolled up and then scrolled down, but didn't see your suggestion.

How much of a fee are we talking? Just curious, did you set the payments up via card or account number?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I scrolled up and then scrolled down, but didn't see your suggestion.

How much of a fee are we talking? Just curious, did you set the payments up via card or account number?
                I didnt leave a suggestion...especially not one that may cost more in the long run...lol

Comment

Your contract was likely bought out by the new company as part of the terms of the acquisition, and it's perfectly legal for them to hold you up to the terms of your contract. If the previous company is no longer in existence, how are they sending you a bill?

Comment

Who cares, cancel the payments. It is the principle of the thing. If the original company doesn't exist any more then I doubt they are going to report anything to anyone.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

You'd have to read your contract with them to determine whether or not it complies (if it's transferrable) and if there are any provisions regarding the moving of the location. Might be worth calling the new company and trying to see if it's them getting your money / resolve it that way. At a minimum ask for a copy of your agreement (if they say you should be paying them). Im willing to bet they don't have it, therefore can't enforce it, either way.

But like Al, I'd probably just block that shit.

Comment

So the new company wants me to drive to their new location to cancel my contract. Credit card company said that I can dispute it and try and collect back until the first company was bought out.

Looks like I will be doing both.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          So the new company wants me to drive to their new location to cancel my contract. Credit card company said that I can dispute it and try and collect back until the first company was bought out.

Awww yeah! Get that paper!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                            i wanna make a no flex zone joke, but i cant get my head around it.

That situation sounds bunk AF, but if you are still dealing with it, it doesn't seem like you will do anything further. so maybe google the new adress, and go do bikram yoga there?
                            Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

I'd just do the yoga.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              I can't think of any reason why this would be illegal, but I'm no Sean.
                              Attach a few red pubes to your chin and voila, magic Sean!

David

Comment

Working...
                              X