Health insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance

I can't make a decision, so looking for input. I haven't had health insurance in several years (since the divorce). I'm also rarely sick, and it is even more rare that I go to the doctor. After the divorce and implementation of Obamacare, I've said that I would just gamble with not having it, until I turn 35 or so, then sign up. I'm 34 now, and we are in open enrollment. I'm also currently on a strict budget, as we're saving up for land and to build a house. It isn't a matter of whether I can afford it or not, it's a matter of whether I want to afford it or not.

In the last 10 years, my only health issues have been as follows.
    • Basal Cell Carcinoma, resulted in MOHS procedure, plastic surgery to fix the hole, and the subsequent routine check ups (they cut or burn something out at every single check up).
    • Torn rotator cuff and impingment/bursitis in my left shoulder, subsequent physical therapy, cortisone shots, etc. Have not had the surgery but need to. This is crippling at times, and absolutely affects my life negatively. I can't work out, can't do certain things, etc. The flip side is, there is no guarantee surgery will fix anything and a good chance I could be worse off than I am now should I choose to do the surgery.

I have dismissed all the HDHP (high deductible plans) that are available to me. That leaves me with 4 plans. Deductible levels are $500, $1500, $2500, and $6000. $500 deductible plan is $400/mo to me, and each plan is about $20/mo cheaper than the plan above it. I'm also responsible for 20% of the bill after the deductible is met with all of those plans.

Speaking in round numbers, that is an additional $4800 that could go towards my property/house fund, rather than be spent on insurance. There is always the "what if" scenario, and yes something could come up and wipe out my savings, but the chances of that are relatively low given my history. My kids are covered through a great and very low cost plan through my ex wife's employer, so that is not a concern.

So, what would you do?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

I've never lost money on insurance, its paid for itself on my cars, trailers, home,buildings my body 1000's times over .

Comment

my gallbladder surgery would have cost me something like 30k, if I didnt have insurance.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Asymmetric risk; I'd get the insurance.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

get married and get on her insurance, let it come out of her check!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
            get married and get on her insurance, let it come out of her check!
            Fuck you, good sir.

Comment

I hadn't had a single claim on my insurance up until my motorcycle accident in 2009, at which point I got all those years of premiums back and then some. All it takes is one unforseen incident of a serious nature, and you'll be shelling out some serious coin, that could make that land seem cheap in comparison.

Comment

No HSA or FSA option?

Comment

Wont the obamacare tax also cost you a few grand if you dont get insurance?

Comment

Have you made sure they will cover your sex change?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                      No HSA or FSA option?

The HDHP options are basically HSA. Range in price from $180/mo to 320/mo. Keep in mind, that is premiums only. Anything added to FSA would be out of my pocket, and extra. It doesn't make any sense at all to do an HDHP/HSA at those rates.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Wont the obamacare tax also cost you a few grand if you dont get insurance?

You pay the greater of the two. 2% of income, or $325 for 2015. I paid the penalty last year, but it was $95. The "rule" last year was you pay the greater of 1% or $95 per person. Even though 1% of my income is greater, I somehow was only penalized for the $95.

Comment

As mentioned above also look into the FSA.

Without a doubt sir, get the insurance. Strictly speaking about me, it also is a waste of money on me right now - but like you I'm not a young kid anymore. We can't rely on our health history as an indicator of what to expect going forward. I've seen it with nearly everyone I know, 1 minor/major thing and the insurance pays for itself compared to you fighting it on your own.

The hospitals basically have it so we can't afford even a simple visit to the hospital. I'm sure you've heard plenty of stories, here is one more. My boy busted his head on a fireplace when he was 2. Rather than chance it I took him into the hospital. 1 hour and some super glue later and he was out. The bill would've been something 5,000 dollars. 3/4 of the bill I had no idea what it was or covered. Insurance, I had to pay I think 500 (or maybe 250) for the deductible. ...point being we can't afford hospital/other visits out of pocket and maintain savings/other things going forward.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          I hadn't had a single claim on my insurance up until my motorcycle accident in 2009, at which point I got all those years of premiums back and then some. All it takes is one unforseen incident of a serious nature, and you'll be shelling out some serious coin, that could make that land seem cheap in comparison.
                          I don't ride street bikes, and not currently riding in the dirt. I may be a gambler, but I don't tempt fate either.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            I don't ride street bikes, and not currently riding in the dirt. I may be a gambler, but I don't tempt fate either.
                            FWIW, this was at relatively low speed on a dirtbike, but the point is that the body is expensive to fix when accidents do happen.

Comment

I joined a health sharing ministry called CCM Medi-share.

It's not an insurance program, but it exempts you from Obamacare penalties and MIGHT help some if you get sick or injured.

mardyn

Comment

Working...
                              X