engine cooling issue - bad radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine cooling issue - bad radiator?

Although I am a member of this site and have had many sports cars over the years, I never did any of the work or upgrades and know very little about diagnosing car problems. So I am here to ask for some help. I am trying not to take my car to the shop and let them rape me.

That said, here is the problem:

About a week ago I noticed I was driving and all a sudden my a/c started blowing warm air instead of cold. I started playing with all the buttons, turning it off and back on, and eventually after about 10 mins it started blowing cold again. Then later that day, again the next day, etc it did it again. I also noticed when I got out of my car after driving home from work, my radiator fan was still blowing. Never really noticed this before.

So the next day when I drove to work, i was watching my temp guage and it was all over the place. would move around during my drive from just below the 1/2 mark all way up to close to the red. So I pulled over and checked my coolant. Was low, so I stopped at store, got some antifreeze and topped it off.

Seemed to stay below the 1/2 mark for the rest of the drive to work. But when I got out of the car, I could kinda smell the antifreeze smell. But I didnt really see any puddles or anywhere it was leaking. What is weird is, if i start my car with the a/c off. My radiator fans dont seem to come on. As soon as i turn on the a/c, they come on. (although i havent played with this scenario a whole lot).

Long story short, over the past few days I have repeated this same thing. I had a friend of mine who knows about cars take a look and he kinda briefly looked under my hood. We couldnt find any loose hoses or anything that stood out. His theory was the radiator is bad. Thought it sounded like a fan or temp sensor issue, but that doesnt explain the loss of antifreeze daily.

so before i just go buying a bunch of parts and throwing at it, I wanted to get some thoughts. Does it sound like a radiator issue? Would that explain why sometimes my a/c starts to blow warm air? It does seem that since I have been adding antifreeze and keeping it full, i havent had the a/c issue. But again, this has all only been a week or less.

Wait, this is a CAR site ?

Comment

Always interesting when people ask for tech help, but fail to include any information about make/model/year of car.

The a/c is shutting off due to it overheating. You mentioned that you had someone briefly look under the hood. Did you happen to check your oil? I have a feeling you're going to see chocolate milk. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, it is a 2007 Honda Pilot that I am talking about. And I just checked the oil and here is a picture.
        Attached Files

Comment

3 pages by 4 pm

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
            Sorry, it is a 2007 Honda Pilot that I am talking about. And I just checked the oil and here is a picture.
            Pull the dip stick, clean off the dip stick, re-insert it and pull it again. Always clean off the dip stick when taking an engine oil level reading.
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

yes, I did clean it off and do that. I at least know how to do that much. lol

Comment

that faint part at the top, was stuck on there. looks like its been there a while and hardened. I didn't totally scrub it off, I just wiped it clean and dipped

Comment

Is this a mini van ?

Comment

Honda Pilot SUV

Comment

Taste it and see if it tastes like a milkshake

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                        Although I am a member of this site and have had many sports cars over the years, I never did any of the work or upgrades and know very little about diagnosing car problems. So I am here to ask for some help. I am trying not to take my car to the shop and let them rape me.

That said, here is the problem:

About a week ago I noticed I was driving and all a sudden my a/c started blowing warm air instead of cold. I started playing with all the buttons, turning it off and back on, and eventually after about 10 mins it started blowing cold again. Then later that day, again the next day, etc it did it again. I also noticed when I got out of my car after driving home from work, my radiator fan was still blowing. Never really noticed this before.

So the next day when I drove to work, i was watching my temp guage and it was all over the place. would move around during my drive from just below the 1/2 mark all way up to close to the red. So I pulled over and checked my coolant. Was low, so I stopped at store, got some antifreeze and topped it off.

Topped what off? The reservoir or the radiator? If you topped the radiator, have you checked it again after the initial topping off?

Seemed to stay below the 1/2 mark for the rest of the drive to work. But when I got out of the car, I could kinda smell the antifreeze smell. But I didnt really see any puddles or anywhere it was leaking. What is weird is, if i start my car with the a/c off. My radiator fans dont seem to come on. As soon as i turn on the a/c, they come on. (although i havent played with this scenario a whole lot).

The fans are suppose to come on when you turn the AC on. It needs to pull air to draw the heat out of the condensor(the shiny thingy in front of the radiator)

Long story short, over the past few days I have repeated this same thing. I had a friend of mine who knows about cars take a look and he kinda briefly looked under my hood. We couldnt find any loose hoses or anything that stood out. His theory was the radiator is bad. Thought it sounded like a fan or temp sensor issue, but that doesnt explain the loss of antifreeze daily.

If you're losing coolant daily, then you either have an internal leak or external leak. If you don't see a puddle, then it's more likely an internal leak. While checking the dipstick for "milky" oil is a quick visual check, it could still be losing it and not show up as milky oil. I say this because I dealt with the exact same thing with an 03 Altima that I finally got rid of. We had to add coolant weekly to the reservoir (no it wasn't cracked) yet the oil was never milky.

so before i just go buying a bunch of parts and throwing at it, I wanted to get some thoughts. Does it sound like a radiator issue? Would that explain why sometimes my a/c starts to blow warm air? It does seem that since I have been adding antifreeze and keeping it full, i havent had the a/c issue. But again, this has all only been a week or less.
                        Questions in red
                        Last edited by GeorgeG.; 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

If its using coolant but no puddles or obvious leaks its probably burning it. Cracked head or head gasket is my guess. If its overheating your gonna mess it up more by driving it. I would check the coolant for hydrocarbons and also pressure test the cooling system. Ive done headgaskets in my garage and from experience its easier just to pay someone that does them all the time.
                          Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Check to see if there is a loose nut between the steering wheel and driver seat, then move this to a different forum.

CN

Comment

George covered it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X