Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on towing/trailering a car to Albuquerque?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on towing/trailering a car to Albuquerque?

Leaving the DFW for a new job on Sunday and looking for the least expensive option to tow my Grand National to Albuquerque. Uhaul quoted me $115 for a one way tow dolly, and $250 for one of their extremely heavy transport trailers.
    Anyone have any other suggestions?

When I moved to San Diego I hauled my Ranger on a tow dolly behind the Uhaul, without any issues.

Comment

my friend fernando can do it

Comment

Perez Transport llc
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
          my friend fernando can do it
          Is this the one that fucked up that Vette and left it sitting with the keys in the pipe?
          Yeah no. My car gets fucked up or stolen during transport I'm prolly gonna murder someone. Id rather tow it myself.

Comment

Uhaul

I used their auto transport trailer to tow a car back from the Ozarks a couple of years ago. It's actually a very robust tandem axle trailer. It weighs 2,200lbs. Went down the road just fine. No trailer sway issues, as the tire straps force you to load it all the way forward. The only thing I didn't like about it is that they use surge brakes, not electric. Still gets the job done, but you get jerked around sometimes on a descent.

Comment

One way Uhaul is probably your best option. Local I'd rent a car hauler from Rental Stop but one way go Uhaul. Pulling a GN should be cake.

Comment

I used a uhaul tow dolly from Milwaukee to Austin almost 10 years ago. Had zero issues. Towed great. Just don't try to back up with the damn thing. It is like having 2 trailers.

Comment

For that car, I wouldn't use a dolly, I'd use the full trailer. I've towed several vehicles on them with no issues, even towed behind the moving truck to and from Boston-DFW a few times. Truckers will fuck with you lol, but they're relatively light and easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                    For that car, I wouldn't use a dolly, I'd use the full trailer. I've towed several vehicles on them with no issues, even towed behind the moving truck to and from Boston-DFW a few times. Truckers will fuck with you lol, but they're relatively light and easy to use.
                    What do you mean truckers will "fuck with you"? In what way? I never had any issues.

Comment

I just hauled my 10th anniversary trans am from Florida to California using one of their flat bed auto transports at a..... ummmm........ much higher speed than recommended.... and it worked just fine. Personally I'd avoid the dolly with that car.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                        I just hauled my 10th anniversary trans am from Florida to California using one of their flat bed auto transports at a..... ummmm........ much higher speed than recommended.... and it worked just fine. Personally I'd avoid the dolly with that car.
                        Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                          Pics?
                          Here is what we started with:

After 4 years of restoration work in my garage (we did *everything* - paint, interior, bodywork, etc), here is what we came out with. The car is not quite finished yet - the paint still needs to be color sanded and the decals put on and there is still work to be done to tune the carb and stuff, but it runs and drives.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Comment

Sorry for derailing the thread.[/QUOTE]

Damn thread Hijacker!!!!

Thats a good looking old bird there. Is that a 301 or a 400?

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                              What do you mean truckers will "fuck with you"? In what way? I never had any issues.
                              We'll they'll only fuck with you if you're in a rented box truck. They know those trucks have a govenor, and when I was mid-pass, flat out at 75mph, they'd speed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X