Had a new Ecoboost convertible mustang for 4 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a new Ecoboost convertible mustang for 4 days

Rented a new black convertible Mustang ecoboost for a 4 day weekend in upstate New York. Color me impressed. The exhaust sounds pretty lame during a remote start. It's a 4 banger. However, in sport mode (six-speed auto), the engine is very responsive. You can definitely feel the 320lb/ft of torque in the mid range. It has nice, smooth pretty strong acceleration.

Other pluses is the all the cool gauges (electronic boost gauge, etc.), and track timers (0 to 30, 0 to 60, quarter mile, etc.), screens, heated/cooled seats, good stereo, etc. The mustang light projection onto the ground at night outside the door is pretty fun too.

Biggest compliment I can give the car is how well it drives down the road. It feels very solid and smooth, even with the top down. I went over some ROUGH dirt roads getting to a hiking trail and the chassis was very solid. It really drives like a new nice A5 Audi turbo 4 cylinder sedan instead of a "muscle car". It's highway stability and isolation at 100+mph is much better than I expected.

Downside is the HUGE, somewhat clumsy feeling doors and the car is pretty big feeling overall, though it handles itself well as mentioned above. Interior is nice, but you can see some cheap pieces. Nothing out of place for the price point though

I think I'd have a hard time not getting the Coyote engine if I got a Mustang, but the ecoboost gets the job done and hearing the turbo quietly and quickly spool to 20psi is always entertaining. Anyway, nice job Ford!
    Ford
    GM
    Toyota
    VAG

I love the EB 4cyl in my Edge... it runs great and has good power when the right foot rings down for more steam. I would imagine it's really impressive in the new Mustang.

mardyn

Comment

I thought there would be a bigger variance in sticker price between the 2.3Eco and 5.0.
      2.3 Eco- 35K
      5.0 - 40K

Kind of tough to justify why you wouldn't get the 5.0 over the 2.3 for only 5K. Now if it was a 10K difference......

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
        I thought there would be a bigger variance in sticker price between the 2.3Eco and 5.0.
        2.3 Eco- 35K
        5.0 - 40K

Kind of tough to justify why you wouldn't get the 5.0 over the 2.3 for only 5K. Now if it was a 10K difference......
        So, ecoboost plus 5k?
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I opted for the 5.0, mostly due to the fact that my brain couldn't handle looking at a car that size and going, "Hmm lets put a 4pot in there." But I have the same feelings about the ride of the car, it doesn't feel like any other mustang I've driven and that's a good thing. Put around 900 miles on mine this weekend and felt refreshed when I got out.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
            I opted for the 5.0, mostly due to the fact that my brain couldn't handle looking at a car that size and going, "Hmm lets put a 4pot in there." But I have the same feelings about the ride of the car, it doesn't feel like any other mustang I've driven and that's a good thing. Put around 900 miles on mine this weekend and felt refreshed when I got out.
            yeah, 5.0 is the way to go obviously, but I wouldn't think bad of anyone that chose the ecoboost. It's a technically advanced, fun engine. I'm sure the aftermarket (if they haven't already) will easily add 50+ horsepower with a reprogram too.

Agree on the ride, it really doesn't drive like a muscle car Mustang. It rides and goes down the road like a sophisticated higher-end sports coupe. Well done.
            Ford
            GM
            Toyota
            VAG

Comment

My gf has a Eb 2015 with the auto. Made 275rw bone stock, and now has a Cobb Accessport. They are really nice rides...plenty of midrange for sure, and pulls down 36mpg on the highway. With a few boltsons, they run mid to low 12's, and the highest stock motor car makes 510rw with an upgraded turbo. Stock turbo is maxed around 380rw. Ride is light years ahead of the solid axle cars. Tuning and intercooler are the best two first mods...intercooler heatsoak kills the power quick
              Last edited by Cmarsh; 08-17-2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                So, ecoboost plus 5k?
                I award you the internets for today.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

My wife loves her PP EB 2015 mustang fully loaded. handles better then my shelby

Comment

I would do bad things to good people if it would get Ford to bring back the Ranger with an Eco-Boost 4 banger in it.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I am guessing 40k for a fully loaded 5.0? We paid 29k for the base model, and it still has a ton of stuff on it for a base model. 6sp manual. I do not like the cheesy back up camera screen. It works but its too small.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                        I would do bad things to good people if it would get Ford to bring back the Ranger with an Eco-Boost 4 banger in it.
                        That would be one hell of a combo right there!

Comment

Someone needs to swap this engine into a Fiesta ST.

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                            Rented a new black convertible Mustang ecoboost for a 4 day weekend in upstate New York. Color me impressed. The exhaust sounds pretty lame during a remote start. It's a 4 banger. However, in sport mode (six-speed auto), the engine sounds are awesome because they are pumping in fake engine sounds through the audio system. You can definitely feel the 320lb/ft of torque in the mid range. It has nice, smooth pretty strong acceleration.
                            ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                              ftfy
                              That shit still cracks me up.

Comment

Working...
                              X