Anyone here have a 363 Boss yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have a 363 Boss yet?

I'm shopping for crate engines, and this fits the bill for what I want. I'm interested in experiences or technical reasons not to.

I'm thinking the 302 Boss and a supercharger might be better overall, but that means I need to buy a supercharger and new fuel/air stuff. The 363 just needs to be bolted in and have some ancillaries installed to make ~500 hp (which would probably make me happy).
    You live and learn or you don’t live long.

Originally posted by gearjammer351 View Post
    I'm shopping for crate engines, and this fits the bill for what I want. I'm interested in experiences or technical reasons not to.

I'm thinking the 302 Boss and a supercharger might be better overall, but that means I need to buy a supercharger and new fuel/air stuff. The 363 just needs to be bolted in and have some ancillaries installed to make ~500 hp (which would probably make me happy).
    Does the 363 come with a CSR or SC??
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
      Does the 363 come with a CSR or SC??
      It's NA. (I'm not sure what you mean by CSR)

The alternative I considered was buying the Boss 302 (9:1 compression - 345hp) and later adding a SC and making more power. However, the dollar figure for that would likely be a lot more to end up with ~500hp ...which the 363 already has.

My question/concern is over the 363. That seems like a lot of extra cubes from a 302 block, and I wonder if it isn't bored or stroked too much. Ford is selling it as a crate engine, so I can't imagine it's junk, but if a charged 302 will make as much (or more) power while lasting a lot longer and stressing the internals less, I may choose that instead.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=13118
      vs.
      https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=10271
      Last edited by gearjammer351; 08-15-2015, 05:49 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

On a boss block, you have room to grow at 363. It's just a 347 with a bigger piston.

There are so many options. You'd need a pretty hot top end to get 500w from a 363.

My advice to you, if you have a boss block. Use it. 7500rpm. And you'll be happy.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

It's NA. (I'm not sure what you mean by CSR)

The alternative I considered was buying the Boss 302 (9:1 compression - 345hp) and later adding a SC and making more power. However, the dollar figure for that would likely be a lot more to end up with ~500hp ...which the 363 already has.

My question/concern is over the 363. That seems like a lot of extra cubes from a 302 block, and I wonder if it isn't bored or stroked too much. Ford is selling it as a crate engine, so I can't imagine it's junk, but if a charged 302 will make as much (or more) power while lasting a lot longer and stressing the internals less, I may choose that instead.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=13118
          vs.
          https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=10271
          CSR= cow skin rug. SC= Savannah cat.

I'd go the boss route and add a blower down the road. Something like a roush HO. Kit.

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
            CSR= cow skin rug. SC= Savannah cat.

I'd go the boss route and add a blower down the road. Something like a roush HO. Kit.
            lol

That sounds reasonable (which is why I'm considering it), and I have a gut feeling the standard 302 bore:stroke & reciprocating assembly is destined to last longer. However, I'm looking for real reasons, instead of going with an 'gut feeling' -even if it's based on something reasonable.

I'm curious how much power guys are making supercharging a 302 (ideally, the FRPP crate engines with a Boss block), but I just find references to the 5.0/Boss 302 mod-motored cars.

Comment

lol

That sounds reasonable (which is why I'm considering it), and I have a gut feeling the standard 302 bore:stroke & reciprocating assembly is destined to last longer. However, I'm looking for real reasons, instead of going with an 'gut feeling' -even if it's based on something reasonable.

I'm curious how much power guys are making supercharging a 302 (ideally, the FRPP crate engines with a Boss block), but I just find references to the 5.0/Boss 302 mod-motored cars.
              I was looking at the Hennessey performance HPE kit will make 700HP. that's roughly what most kits will probably give you conservative tune. But if you start pushing the limits you can hit 1000hp no problem. But I'm no expert, we do have a lot of people on here who are I'm sure they'll come in here and give better advice than I can.

What are your intentions with the car? Street/strip or daily driver or just want more power? I personally wouldn't go over 700 myself for my personal philosophy Of use which is a daily driver. Once I pay mine off i'm just gonna go with a Roush 675 kit as mentioned earlier.

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I think you two are talking about two different engines... Soap, he's referring to the pushrod boss crate engine and you're talking about supercharging your Coyote.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

lol, i was wondering what i was missing.

Comment

I think the average for a supercharged 302 with aluminum heads is 450-470 rwhp. I'm at 460 rwhp on mine and it's all stock minus Trickflow heads and Cobra (GT40) intake. A blown 302 won't have the low end torque the 363 does, it'll make all it's power at 3k+. I wish mine had some more lower end umph but it does fine once it gets into boost.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Why are people still supercharging engines? The only cool one is the new procharger with the cvt blower.

Yes they can make power, no they aren't horrible.. But fuck a blower, turbo is the only way to boost.

A 302/331/347/363 in a dart or boss block will make as much as the parts you put in it will hold, and however you want to spend on heads.

If you have 2500$ for a set of heads, another 1300$ for cam kit, 500ish for rockers, 1,200 intake/ injectors and 6-7k on a custom turbo kit, you can make all kinds of power... Haha

A simple set up 363 with 300cfmish heads and a hydraulic roller should do 500w.

Just don't cheap out on heads, gt40 heads? Like 235cfm... Gross

Comment

To me it's simple, IDGAF about all out power or being able to make a big number. I LOVE the sound of a SC with exhaust that isn't somewhat muffled by a turbo. I have no interest in keeping the heat under the hood any longer than I have to, I have no interest in turbo lag, and I don't mind the parasitic loss as I don't really race. To that end, I'd love to eventually put a S trim on my fox and keep it under 500. Not everyone wants that big number or low 1/4 pass time. Neither impress me at all, I guess I'm just too old for that now.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          To me it's simple, IDGAF about all out power or being able to make a big number. I LOVE the sound of a SC with exhaust that isn't somewhat muffled by a turbo. I have no interest in keeping the heat under the hood any longer than I have to, I have no interest in turbo lag, and I don't mind the parasitic loss as I don't really race. To that end, I'd love to eventually put a S trim on my fox and keep it under 500. Not everyone wants that big number or low 1/4 pass time. Neither impress me at all, I guess I'm just too old for that now.
                          Roots blowers have the worse heat soak issues known to man, I mean it's on top of the motor to start off and then it's compressing air... Fuck all that. A big centricharger sounds nasty at idle though, esp the ones where all you can hear is the bypass valve.

Turbo cars sound cool too though, nothing wrong with sounding like a jet!

Yes you are old, turbos don't lag much when it's all built and tuned right.

Ya 500whp sounds cool until a new mustang untouched off the showroom floor drags your ass and there are with a blower, loud exhaust a with ton of mods and some 16yo girl walked your ass on the highway.

That CANNOT happen!

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                            Roots blowers have the worse heat soak issues known to man, I mean it's on top of the motor to start off and then it's compressing air... Fuck all that. A big centricharger sounds nasty at idle though, esp the ones where all you can hear is the bypass valve.

Turbo cars sound cool too though, nothing wrong with sounding like a jet!

Yes you are old, turbos don't lag much when it's all built and tuned right.

Ya 500whp sounds cool until a new mustang untouched off the showroom floor drags your ass and there are with a blower, loud exhaust a with ton of mods and some 16yo girl walked your ass on the highway.

That CANNOT happen!
                            You missed what I was saying, I don't think a new mustang will "drag my ass" because I wouldn't give two shits about racing in a straight line anyways. These days you need 800+HP to not get your ass kicked and I simply don't care to play the game. I just want a car that is streetable, fun to drive, and runs well while sounding good.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                              Why are people still supercharging engines?

Yes they can make power, no they aren't horrible.. But fuck a blower, turbo is the only way to boost.
                              why are top fuel dragsters supercharged? maybe you can let them in on the secret

Comment

Working...
                              X