Kids who cuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids who cuss

So, how do you handle it when a kid (in my case my 3 year old) starts to cuss? Since my son is a sponge and catches EVERY under the breath mutter I make, he has decided his new favorite term to use is "fucking shit". Now, when he says it I wince, look around for his mother and just sorta don't make a big deal about it. I'll either say something similar but clean to distract him or shoe him away from the situation. I will note, he uses it properly so I can't get too mad at him. Ideas?
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Leave it be. That is fucking cool.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

We just tell our girl thats a bad word that adults know when and are allowed to use and if she does again she will be grounded.

Its worked well for us so far.

Comment

Yeah, my son uses "Goddamnit" contextually correct every now and then. Just don't laugh (it's hard not to) and let him know he shouldn't say that and daddy (adults) shouldn't either. He's heard me once in the last couple months and he made me go to a timeout, lolz.

The best was when we pulled into the Dallas Zoo one morning when he was 2. I drove up to the entrance, saw the sign and said, "Eight dollars to park?!" and then heard a "GOD DAMNIT" from the back. I lost my shit.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

tell him to quit being a little fucking shit

Comment

I'm really watching my tongue around my 3yo. So far, so good. I kinda hope he picks it up from a stranger so my wife won't bitch about it..

Comment

my wife was horribly concerned that the kids would pick up on my frequent use of profane language. So far, neither of my kids have taken any of mine, but both have parroted mom a few times.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My son was playing with (destroying) something the other day, stopped what he was doing said "ugh, fucking shit!!" and threw the toy down. I guess it wouldn't work for him. I was laughing inside.
                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                  Yeah, my son uses "Goddamnit" contextually correct every now and then. Just don't laugh (it's hard not to) and let him know he shouldn't say that and daddy (adults) shouldn't either. He's heard me once in the last couple months and he made me go to a timeout, lolz.

The best was when we pulled into the Dallas Zoo one morning when he was 2. I drove up to the entrance, saw the sign and said, "Eight dollars to park?!" and then heard a "GOD DAMNIT" from the back. I lost my shit.
                  lmao!

My oldest never picked up on any of it, despite growing up around a rough crowd when it comes to language. In fact, when he would hear someone cuss, he'd put his own hands over his ears and yell "earmuffs" at whoever cussed. My daughter has only cussed once, and she saw a shadow streak across the floor and said "what the hell was that" with an east TX twang. She picked that one up from her mother, so I got out unscathed.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I cuss, a lot. My wife doesn't, at all. We have always discussed things with our kids and kept an open dialogue. My kids flip shit when I cuss. They just don't do it. I've essentially tried to sell them on the benefits of it and they won't do it. We've talked about when it is appropriate, when it isn't, etc., and they won't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                      My son was playing with (destroying) something the other day, stopped what he was doing said "ugh, fucking shit!!" and threw the toy down. I guess it wouldn't work for him. I was laughing inside.
                      Thats fucking nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                        Ideas?
                        Simple. Don't cuss around the kids. It's not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                          My oldest is 13 and I have been trying to quit since before she was born. I do pretty good most days, but when I stress, it's my popoff valve. I hear mine saying it sometimes and when I call them on it, they sometimes come back with, "Well, you do it". I remind them that it's a bad habit to get into and like every other habit, it's hard to break. I politely ask them not to do it and that seems to work pretty good. They seem to understand logic if you let them use their brains (for the most part). Now, if I could just get them to keep their rooms clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                            I should specify that I hold it relatively tight around the kids, but they hear me on the phone and whatnot. But I agree with your point. My parents were horrible growing up and it was "just the way we talked".

Comment

Nice pop on the lips cured me of it. He's 3? He understands. Whoop his little ass. Unless you don't really care. My family were holy rollers so that was strictly forbidden.
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X