Dog torn "ACL"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog torn "ACL"

Technically its a torn ccl i believe, but my 11 year old lab has been limping on the left rear leg since jumping out of the car on our way to go fishing or something around that time. Vet says its probably a partially torn ccl and that the best option is a 2500-3000 surgery. However the surgery doesnt even have a 50% success rate for dogs of her age and weight. The other cheaper surgery is worse.

I dont want to put her through that long of a treatment, pain and a very possible chance that it fails. Also, im in the oil industry. Ive throttled my spending a lot lately just in case.

So we started conservative therapy, and have her wearing a brace. Were limiting and controlling walks much more as well. The brace is the A Trac system if that means anything.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of treatement?

You're a 10%-er, do the surgery.

My sister in law did the surgery on their Bassett and it failed again after a couple months.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
      You're a 10%-er, do the surgery.

My sister in law did the surgery on their Bassett and it failed again after a couple months.
      Haha i know its sarcasm, but i dont care how much i make. Putting an old dog through that tough recovery, spending that much, and having a low success rate doesnt sit well.

And im a 7%er...get it right asshole.

Comment

My last rottie had a a luxated patella, which basically means that the kneecap slides off from the groove that it's supposed to be in. Surgery was expensive, ineffective, and unnecessary in her case. She developed a bunny hop on that leg and was fine.

Comment

Comment

My Golden has had TPLO surgery on both hind legs. Tore her CCL on the second leg 12 months after we had surgery on first. Our vet almost guaranteed that it would happen that way due to the stresses put on the good leg after surgery. It takes them a while to trust the repaired leg again.

It's very expensive, but worth it. The success rate for TPLO is pretty high due to technique that is used. That is, if you follow the surgeons directions and completely limit all activity for 2 weeks following surgery. She was back to be fully active in about 3 - 4 months. Takes about 5 - 6 months for the hair to grow back completely.

All the non surgical stuff we tried did not work and I wasn't going to watch her hobble around for the rest of her life. She was only 5 y/o at the time. Not being able to play ball or swim is like torture to these dogs.

Comment

I know a few people that have dogs with torn ACLs that have not been repaired and they are just fine, cannot stop on a dime but get by just fine. Guess it depends on the dog

Comment

Our lab wasn't as old but they tried putting the same scare in us. No brace but just kept him on "bed rest" meaning minimal activity. He recovered just fine and is a 90lb but "fit" lab. Big dogs can get over it too. I say do what you feel comfortable with and I bet the st does well.

Comment

Comment

Hope he's healed in time for the birthday bash

Comment

I have had too much experience with 2 dogs. My boy Mastiff had both back legs done. A TPLO/FHO one one side then a newer surgery called a TTA. The TTA was cheaper and had a much faster healing time. Id recommend it in a heartbeat. 6 years later and both legs are good.

My girl Mastiff had one knee done with a typical TPLO and did well. No problems and she was up and running again for a few years until we had to put her down.

These dogs were $4500-6000 a pop due to their size. My boys TTA had to have special hardware flown in from Switzerland and he was the first giant breed in the DFW area to have it done.

I highly recommend Dallas Veterinary Surgical Center. They have a few offices. Dr Raddash (sp?) did the TTA and Id recommend him in a heartbeat.

Comment

But at 11 years old? I guess weigh the burdens vs the benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          But at 11 years old? I guess weigh the burdens vs the benefits.
                          This is the hardest part of the decisions. Labs live 10-12 years on average, and this isnt bothering her too much yet. Id hate to either make the last few years of her life worse with surgery...but i also would hate for it to get worse and her live to 15 dealing with this shit.

I guess ill see how the brace and home recovery works first. Then really consider the TPLO.

Never heard of the TTA.

Comment

I've had one dog (chihuahua/ Boston terrier) who had his back leg pinned twice then plate , after staying confined to a cage for around 6 months , physical therapy daily finally healed , then died of a blood clot 4 months later.
                            His brother has had both rears done with great success . He had to be caged for 3 months also to limit movement, it's a lot of work but he's been good for 5 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              This is the hardest part of the decisions. Labs live 10-12 years on average, and this isnt bothering her too much yet. Id hate to either make the last few years of her life worse with surgery...but i also would hate for it to get worse and her live to 15 dealing with this shit.

I guess ill see how the brace and home recovery works first. Then really consider the TPLO.

Never heard of the TTA.
                              The TTA is just a newer surgery. Its called a tibial tuberosity advancement. Less invasive (still cutting bone) than a TPLO. I didnt really see the 11 year old part. Being up there in age, a surgery like this is hard and Im not sure Id do it either.

Comment

Working...
                              X