Adapting Plasma Cutter to Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting Plasma Cutter to Generator

I have a Powermax 45 plasma cutter that has 3 prong power lead. It looks like the end of the lead is on there permanently but I need to run it using a generator that has one of those round 4 prong outlets.

I'm not too bright when it comes to electrical stuff so I was wondering what my options are for getting it to run off the generator. If I were to swap the end of the lead I would have to cut it off to attach a new one. Is this considered safe or acceptable? Not trying to red-neck rig a 230v connection.

Also, I found an adapter at home depot thats close to the connection on the plasma cutter but not quite.

Here is what the end of the power lead looks like;

And here's the closest adapter I can find. I'm guessing that the extra hole is for neutral which this version cutter doesn't need.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Well after spending a few seconds googling I found this;
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-PL1430650-Generator-250-volt-Adapter/dp/B00SSQIY4M[/ame]
    But its $72. Anyone have a more cost effective solution?

Also, the 4 prong connection is only rated at 30 amps but the plasma cutter instructions say it may use up to 50 depending on use. Is this a problem?

Comment

Get a short piece of 8/3, plug end that you need and a metal box and receptacle. Thats what I did for my welder extention cord.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

A piece of 8/3? So just make my own adapter? What about fuses?
        Last edited by Torinoman; 08-05-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Your generator should be fused. 8ga 3 conductor
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

What is 8 gauge rated for? The plasma cutter is rated for 50 amps

Comment

8 is 40. You need 6/3. Whats the generator rated output?
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                8 is 40. You need 6/3. Whats the generator rated output?
                That's gonna be clutch for this one - making a short extension cord/adapter is the easy part.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Well crap, the generator is only rated for 30amp. I'm not cutting anything too thick. Think it will be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                    Well crap, the generator is only rated for 30amp. I'm not cutting anything too thick. Think it will be a problem?
                    50amp compared to 30amp is significant. I think at best it would be unreliable.

I just ran into a situation where I had a 15 amp circuit and needed to put a device on that required 13 amp - that was not good enough for me.

If you consider it cheap the rig it up and try it - it maybe worth a shot - but likely you're not going to like it.

Just my opinion, I only know the basics about these things and am no expert. Your close to only having half the amperage needed and that's probably peak amperage as well.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Not gonna work, done tried it myself.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Here's a snap from the manual I found online. After further review I may have been wrong about the power requirements. The top 2 lines are what I should be working with. Looks like the "Input Current at 6kw output" is only looking for something in the 30 amp range. It just recommends a 50amp fuse. Pretty sure the generator is rated for 6000 watts. Like I said before, I'm pretty stupid about this stuff. The EE requirement was the reason I dropped out of my ME major in college. Ugh.

But what does it mean by 'Input current during arc stretch'?

Comment

Found this on a forum, may help:

VOLTS X AMPS = WATTS
                          so we will say cutter needs 230 v 30 a draw
                          230x30=6900 watt gen

plus air supply if you need that too.
                          WRX

Comment

Thanks. Looks like the 6000 watt generator I have might work but might be a little marginal. Seems like its worth a try though. I'll mostly be cutting sheet metal and maybe some tube steel. nothing super thick. I can run the air supply off a wall socket instead of the genny.

Comment

Working...
                            X