Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to bypass a chipped key in a 2000 Buick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bypass a chipped key in a 2000 Buick?

Got this car for a cousin who lives 3 hours away. There is only 1 key. I was looking to rig this so he never has to worry about losing the expensive key. I had a copy key made that is not chipped in hopes I could somehow use the chipped key and fasten it in the column or something to make the plain key work?

I tried holding the new key and old key together while starting, but its just not reading it. I am guessing the chip has to be oriented just right I guess?

Google Vats bypass. Vehicle antitheft bypass mod.

On the camaro with the chip physically on the side of the key you measure the resistance on the chip to find put what resistor to splice in line on the yellow wire loom coming from the steering column

Or just call the dealer give them your vin and they cut you a new key for $60

Would you like me to tell you how to hot wire it too?

Comment

Passkey III is a bitch, basically can't be disabled. You can program your own key if you get one. The old pellet keys were easy.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
        Google Vats bypass. Vehicle antitheft bypass mod.

On the camaro with the chip physically on the side of the key you measure the resistance on the chip to find put what resistor to splice in line on the yellow wire loom coming from the steering column

Or just call the dealer give them your vin and they cut you a new key for $60

Would you like me to tell you how to hot wire it too?
        Its not VATS. It doesn't have the little metal in the plastic to measure it. Trying to avoid the whole $60 copy.

Comment

That the one that has the little glass capsule in the key?had a guy tell me he took the key apart and glued the transponder near the key hole. EW would be a good one to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            Its not VATS. It doesn't have the little metal in the plastic to measure it. Trying to avoid the whole $60 copy.

Then I do not know. I know the trucks and vans have security key problems as well but I am not aware if owners ever bypassed them. The same rules probably apply I'm just not sure how you measure the resistance of the key

Comment

Originally posted by sig239 View Post
              That the one that has the little glass capsule in the key?had a guy tell me he took the key apart and glued the transponder near the key hole. EW would be a good one to help you out.
              Yes, its that type. I was reading about them last night and watching videos how to do it, but some of the methods I am afraid would damage the key.

Comment

While I understand trying to save money and such, since you only have a single key to work with and you would have to basically cut it apart in order to get the chip out, $60 sounds very cheap to have a second working key on hand in the event you damage this one to the point of not functioning. If you manage to get the car to a point were it won't start any longer and it has to go to a locksmith or a dealer you will spend well over that in towing and repairs. As much as it sucks, if you can get a second working key in the $100 range I'd do that and then experiment with a way to work around it. I would check with the local locksmith company to see if they can provide you with a key and programming cheaper than the dealer as well.

Comment

Don't drive through Alvarado with that.

Comment

If you can get a new key for $60, do it.

Comment

Let me explain this better. Its NOT my car hence the reason I am not wanting to spend the money on it. I am already out $300. It is a car I helped a family member purchase and they are dead broke as it is, but I know they can be trusted to pay it back. I am trying to head off any potential problem with this down the road because they live 3 hours away and can't help them then.

Comment

It is a car I helped a family member purchase and they are dead broke as it is, but I know they can be trusted to pay it back. I am trying to head off any potential problem with this down the road because they live 3 hours away and can't help them then.
                        Why would you buy them a buick. V6 + fwd + gm = Shit

Comment

It's probably the weird uncle no one likes.

Comment

I disagree. They don't start getting issues until 200+K miles.

Comment

Here's the easy way to do it. I've seen this done many, many times in movies

Comment

Working...
                              X