X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIcrowave oven repair?

I've got two GE Profile series Microwave ovens that have broken down and
    need repairs.

I've already bought/installed a new one for our kitchen, now the one over at my Mom's house has taken a dump.

Now I've got two broken microwaves and looking for someone to make repairs,

mardyn

People still repair these things?

Comment

To be clear, I've already replaced both of 'em...

I hate to throw the old ones out if a minor repair would get back in the game.

I've checked the fuses and thermal cut offs. No luck so far...but I'm just guessing.

mardyn

Comment

What symptoms?

Comment

Oven #1:
          Comes on, works just fine for about 45 seconds, then loses all power (like a fuse or safety relay) and then after a few seconds, can reset the clock and start over.

Oven #2:
          All controls work like normal, but the magnetron doesn't seem to come on, hence no action in the cooking compartment.

mardyn

Comment

We were never GE authorized and it's been a long time since I've worked on one. So I'm not 100% on this.

#1, i'm not sure on. Could be a control panel problem or a thermal cutout.

#2 could be as simple as one of the door switches. there are normally 3 or 4 little switches attached to the frame where the door latches internally. I've seen the switches just go bad, but also had some where the connectors started arcing and damaged the connector and switch. The switches are cheap and easy to check for continuity. They come as NO(Normally open) and NC(Normally closed). Just make sure if you take out a NO, put a NO switch in its place(same w/ NC). It could also be the magnetron/diode which wouldn't be worth repairing most likely.

Comment

I have saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars on various things from watching you tube videos. May be something there.

Comment

Ideally, I'd like to take two bad ovens and make one good one and just throw the rest away...

Ovens are both very similar, but not identical...

Thanks for the repair tips, any additional thoughts would also be welcomed.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                  I have saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars on various things from watching you tube videos. May be something there.
                  Nice to see a fellow Youtube graduate.

Comment

My thought is #2 would be easier to fix. Especially if it's the switches. They are the same across most, if not all, brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      Same. Love me some damn youtube
                      WH

Comment

Service rate $85 hour plus parts and no warranty. New microwave....$199. Hmm, let me think about that for a minute.

Comment

Leaning towards a high voltage diode failure. Test with 5V battery shows 1.84 volts going both ways through the diode.

DFWM Electrical experts please advise.

ughhh... never mind. got it out on the bench, and now it tests good.

mardyn
                          Last edited by mardyn; 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Last weekend the dryer stopped working and showed an error code. I also got a strong electrical smell. Searched on YouTube and all Kenmore dryers have the same circuit board that blows the same soldered circuit after a while. A $300 part. I pulled the board and soldered it again. Good as new!

If you need parts, Adam the answer man in garland carries all that shit
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X