Need some opinions on a 2000 Buick LeSabre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions on a 2000 Buick LeSabre

My cousin is in dire need of a car after his quit on him. Old Saturn that isn't worth fixing. The guy has barely managed to come up with $800. He absolutely cannot afford payment on anything so we are looking at cash cars. I know its a gamble. A family member has a 2000 Buick LeSabre. 78k, v6. Car looks nice inside and out. The a/c clutch bearing seized up causing the belt to not turn. This prevents the engine from even starting. I popped off the belt and it started right up fine. I am told it drove and ran fine before this.

There is a $35 Dorman part to bypass the A/C compressor belt, but I would have to do the labor.

I know nothing about these cars to know how reliable they are, or if they are a pain to work on. Opinions? I'm just trying to help him keep from losing his job and winding up homeless again. He has worked very hard to get where he is.

They are a bread and butter for me on the car lot. At 78K, you should be fine. The Series II 3.8L is pretty solid. They do have a habit of eating rods, but usually around 200K miles. A/c compressor is a weak spot on all FWD GM platforms from the 90's to mid 00's.

4T60E transmission is really good, you can lose the 4th gear clutch hub, but that usually happens on the heavier minivans and supercharged engines. Bottom line, for $800 I would jump on it and not even think twice.

What model is the saturn and what's wrong with it? They are also my bread and butter.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
      They are a bread and butter for me on the car lot. At 78K, you should be fine. The Series II 3.8L is pretty solid. They do have a habit of eating rods, but usually around 200K miles. A/c compressor is a weak spot on all FWD GM platforms from the 90's to mid 00's.

4T60E transmission is really good, you can lose the 4th gear clutch hub, but that usually happens on the heavier minivans and supercharged engines. Bottom line, for $800 I would jump on it and not even think twice.

What model is the saturn and what's wrong with it? They are also my bread and butter.
      The Saturn blew a head gasket. It wasn't in the best shape. He already sold it to a wrecking yard to put toward another car.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        The Saturn blew a head gasket. It wasn't in the best shape. He already sold it to a wrecking yard to put toward another car.

Thanks for the insight.
        Ah well, plenty more saturns out there. No problem. One thing I forgot to mention is that the gas mileage is excellent for a bigger car. 24mpg average isn't uncommon and you can hit 30mpg on the highway.

Comment

Good cars for American in that era. Have a friend with one knocking on 250k. He is a mechanic for a living and he's one who doesn't give a fuck about taking care of a ride but could overhaul a engine with hand tools in the trunk. Been a good car.

Comment

Check out that intake manifold, they crack where the EGR port goes through right behind the throttle body. It'll ingest coolant into the cylinders and hydrolock. ALL of them will do it eventually and Dorman has an improved intake.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              Check out that intake manifold, they crack where the EGR port goes through right behind the throttle body. It'll ingest coolant into the cylinders and hydrolock. ALL of them will do it eventually and Dorman has an improved intake.
              I wonder if there is a way to disable or remove it from the intake to take off the stress. This car is going to be owned in deep east Texas so no emissions testing to contend with.

Comment

You can get a compressor for $50

Comment

Working...
                X