School me on Jeep CJ7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Jeep CJ7s

This Jeep just got dropped off and it is far from what the seller claimed it to be and it is going to need major work to make it drivable.

My question is this; I only want to have to replace things once so I want to do it right the first time around. Is there an optional heavy duty steering box and front end components? The rest of the stuff I can handle.

Here is a copy of an email about what I found wrong with it after a brief inspection that I sent to the seller.

"The front tie rods ends are worn out. The rubber boots on them are so old that they are dry rotted, cracking, and falling off. I can not check for play in the ball joints until I have the front end off of the ground so I do not know the condition that they are in.

The steering box is completely worn out. The shaft going to the steering box is also very loose on the steering box side and the steering column itself has a lot of play in it when I grab the shaft and shake it from side to side. The steering wheel must be turned almost 1/3 of a turn to have any effect on the direction you are heading. I drove as fast as an indicated 35mph and felt like I was about to leave the road and crash. It was not pleasant to drive and I don't know if the indicated speed was accurate.

The battery tie down is MIA and is an accident waiting to happen.

The engine has ok power but runs very rough. If you rev the engine while sitting still the whole truck shakes. The engine is also leaking oil pretty badly but I can not tell where it is coming from. There was no oil on the bottom of the engine before I drove it and there is now oil on the rear of the oil pan and on the front of the clutch housing; all done in a distance of under 3 miles driven.

The fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor is a cobbled together mess and it will need some attention.

The wiring is a joke and it is held together with wire nuts and tape throughout the vehicle. Wire nuts are only suitable for use in high voltage AC systems that are not mobile. They are COMPLETELY unsuitable for use in a low voltage DC electrical system in a moving motor vehicle. I am surprised that there was not an electrical fire during my short test drive.

The horn doesn't work.

The alternator doesn't appear to be charging well but that could possibly be a wiring issue.

The starter grinds when starting the engine and it also seems weak."
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

I wasn't spending my money and it was that + shipping. It would have been worth it if it was turn key and running right. It will be shipped off once I get it drivable.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I thought you lead the Jeep design team for the CJ7. You should have that thing restored by Wednesday.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

We do have a jeep expert, but he only likes JK's, so you might be out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
          I thought you lead the Jeep design team for the CJ7. You should have that thing restored by Wednesday.
          I wanted to work for Ford; I think AMC was pretty much out of the picture before I even thought about working in the auto industry.

I got 2 months of jacking with this a few hours in the evenings to get it ready and catty remarks do not help the process along.

Comment

Holy sheepshit, Batman!!

I read the text before hitting the link. Talk about a switcharoo!

Comment

The steering box is probably ok and the cup that the steering shaft goes in on the box has 2 square bearings that wear out and makes a lot of slop.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                The steering box is probably ok and the cup that the steering shaft goes in on the box has 2 square bearings that wear out and makes a lot of slop.
                The box is screwed. Oil will not stay in it and there is 1/8" of play when I pull on the pitman arm. Are the bearings that you mentioned part of the shaft or part of the box? Do they serve the same function as a rag joint of a Ford? Can they be serviced?

Comment

I owned a couple of cj-5 jeeps years ago and I replaced the steering box with a power assisted unit from a Chevy truck. I don't remember the year model, but it is a common and cheap fix. Collins Brothers Jeep is a great place for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                    The box is screwed. Oil will not stay in it and there is 1/8" of play when I pull on the pitman arm. Are the bearings that you mentioned part of the shaft or part of the box? Do they serve the same function as a rag joint of a Ford? Can they be serviced?
                    yes like a rag joint. There is a screw on in the body of the box maybe on the backside of the pitman arm if i remember correctly that may be able to be adjusted to take some slop out.

Comment

And wtf is going on with that transmission crossmember?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                        And wtf is going on with that transmission crossmember?
                        looked home made and definitely not the correct one.

Comment

^^^ I was not clear when I said slop. The splined shaft the pitman arms attaches to has axial and radial play in it.

Thank you for the recommendation JW33.

Comment

It should be immaculate with no issues at that price lol. Our CJ7 is an 83 and a bit of a hoopty, but has a good 350 Chevy and had it for 6 years with no issues for less than 1/4 that.

Last edited by GrayStangGT; 07-26-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X