Looking for a good beater for high school grad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good beater for high school grad

My aunt is buying her youngest her first car. She just graduated and will need a car for college/ work. Unfortunately, my uncle committed suicide a few years ago so it's only my aunt out there searching. I've been looking at some of the cars she has found and helping ensure she doesn't make a bad decision. I know they are looking to spend $3000. I was thinking an early 2000 or late 90's Civic or possible a fusion. Is there another make I should consider? Has anyone seen or know of a car for sale that is dependable? Thanks

I would stick to a Honda or Toyota in that price range that has been well cared for. Sounds like they'll need a dependable car.

Comment

I agree with Dennis. I picked up an 01 v6 accord with 130k on it for $3500. It's been dead nuts reliable but the ac isn't doing the best.

Comment

Prizms/Corollas are solid and cheap.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Hope someone here has something, but I agree with the above - Honda or Toyota.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            Prizms/Corollas are solid and cheap.
            I haven't seen a geo anything in the past 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
              Not to digress too much, but I saw a Beretta on the road yesterday, moving under its own power.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                The Geo models became Chevrolets in '98.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Is this the battered woman thread?
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

$3k is a pretty good budget. Definitely look for the Toyotas and Hondas already mentioned but keep in mind that every other person in their situation is looking for the same cars so their prices are inflated.

Older Scion Xbs are available in that price range as are CRVs and high mileage Rav 4s. You get a lot more car for your money with the small SUVs. You also aren't too far from buying a Prius. People are scared of 10 year old traction batteries so the 05-06 ones are relatively cheap. Sure you might have to spend $1500 on it in a few years but the rest of the drivetrain will last 500k miles.

Comment

miata, obviously.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        miata, obviously.
                        Of course. Happen to know of any that might be available?

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                          Of course. Happen to know of any that might be available?
                          one or two.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'm no mechanic, but I've heard that well maintained hyundais/kias made in the last dozen or so years are very reliable. The challenge is finding one that's been well maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                              I'm no mechanic, but I've heard that well maintained hyundais/kias made in the last dozen or so years are very reliable. The challenge is finding one that's been well maintained.
                              Just watch out for the exploding sunroofs.

Comment

Working...
                              X