Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Chrysler UConnect security vulnerability..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chrysler UConnect security vulnerability..

A new security vulnerability has been discovered for Chrysler's UConnect infotainment system. Basically a hacker can REMOTELY connect to your vehicle and do some real damage like disabling your brakes. Fortunately FCA has released a patch to fix this. A link to the download is at the bottom of my posting here.

As more and more cars become mobile, internet-connected appliances, they become more likely targets for remote hacking. Chrysler is hopefully realizing the seriousness of this, as a new Jeep Cherokee has been remotely hacked and pretty severely compromised, according to a story in Wired. But don’t panic just yet.

As more and more cars become mobile, internet-connected appliances, they become more likely targets for remote hacking. Chrysler is hopefully realizing the seriousness of this, as a new Jeep Cherokee has been remotely hacked and pretty severely compromised, according to a story in Wired. But don’t panic just yet.

Wired arranged for car-hacking superteam Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek to gain access to a brand new Jeep Cherokee via a zero-day exploit (as in, a vulnerability the manufacturer has spent zero days fixing) in the software of the car’s Uconnect cellular-based internet infotainment and connectivity system.

The hack uses the Uconnect system as a gateway into the car, and then gains access to the Jeep’s infotainment system headunit. Once there, the firmware of the headunit is re-written, which allows access to the entire CAN bus of the car — essentially, the car’s nervous system — and that access is what allows for the really scary stuff, like control of the wipers, brakes, throttle and even some limited control (in reverse only, for now) of the steering.

This, of course, is absolutely a big deal. Unlike the team’s previous, widely-publicized hack that involved the removal of most of the dash of a Prius, this time the car has been compromised via commands sent over the cellular network to the car.

While it’s possible to remotely hack the hundreds of thousands of Uconnect-equipped cars, it’s pretty improbable. Miller and Valasek had access to the Uconnect system’s IP address to gain access to the car. As they say in the article:

Uconnect, an Internet-connected computer feature in hundreds of thousands of Fiat Chrysler cars, SUVs, and trucks, controls the vehicle’s entertainment and navigation, enables phone calls, and even offers a Wi-Fi hot spot. And thanks to one vulnerable element, which Miller and Valasek won’t identify until their Black Hat talk, Uconnect’s cellular connection also lets anyone who knows the car’s IP address gain access from anywhere in the country. “From an attacker’s perspective, it’s a super nice vulnerability,” Miller says.
    Super nice vulnerability, sure, but it’s not exactly an easy one to just find. Having that IP address is a pretty big initial helping hand, and it’s not the sort of thing that’s decal’d onto the side of every new Jeep Cherokee, right under the ‘Trail Rated’ badge. Some chronic masturbator in a basement with a vendetta against you isn’t likely to just be able to rapidly type onto his keyboard and cut off your brakes.

Still, even the protection of each car’s unique IP address is, at best, security through obscurity, and a determined attacker could eventually find it out, given either direct access or some massive effort and computing resources. Actually, a simple phishing attack could do it, hypothetically, if you can get a driver to click on a spoofed link on their car’s screen, somehow, perhaps via an installed web browser. It’s still a pretty huge hole that Chrysler needs to fix, and, thankfully, they already have.

Miller and Valasek aren’t supercriminals, so they’ve shared their findings with Chrysler before they published anything, giving Chrysler the chance to produce a patch to close this hole, which, if you have such a Uconnect-enabled system, you can download and install here via USB. It would be better if Chrysler would make this available via cellular download to all the cars, because I’m sure many people won’t go to a dealer to do this or feel comfortable installing it themselves.

The big take-away from all this is that as more and more cars become connected to the internet, they inherently open themselves up to hacking and unwanted access. If you want to play in the giant connected playground of the internet, that’s the risk, and car makers need to protect their vehicles accordingly, like computer and OS makers have been doing for years. It’s a constant struggle that requires constant vigilance.

You don’t need to panic yet. It’s still a lot of effort to do this and it relies on key data that’s not easy to get. Not every misguided teen is going to try and impress a girl by running a Jeep into a wall. But it’s real, and these tests and stunts should at least cause one group to moisten their trousers: the car companies. It’s time for real security on internet-connected cars.
    You can get the update for UConnect here: http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

CANBUS 'hacking' has been around for a while, people were flashing the firmware on the stereos to upload custom images, disable/enable features that were previously license only, add new code options ( flac support ), and tons of other interesting items. CANBUS is kind of like a pipeline that the entire car uses to talk to itself, think of it like a home network, if you had access to the gateway ( typically the stereo headunit ), you could change packets for any device in the car. Last I heard the whole openSource CANBUS initiative got shutdown by Chrysler, albeit from what I recall it was never malicious. This sounds like remanence of that crowd.

The article makes it sound like people dont scan the internet for open machines, thats pretty much what all bots do, and they scale pretty fast. I remember reading about someone scanning the internet in a few days by compromising simple hosts that had admin/admin as the user/pass and using those hosts to scale out and scan even faster. With botnets purchasable, it seems like it would be pretty easy to find a bunch of Chrysler cars via their fingerprint and open ports.

Comment

Forbes magazine ran a story of a couple security engineers from different companies who who did the same thing to a Ford Escape and a Toyota Prius. Hacking the brakes, GPS spoofing, altered spedo/odometer readings, disable power steering, etc...

All of these networked cars are vulnerable. A bit unnerving, to say the least.

Comment

Well, for anyone that has an FCA vehicle with UConnect, I can confirm that the patch installer works. One of the creators of the hack tweeted that the patch does close the vulnerability they discovered.

Comment

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV agreed Friday to recall 1.4 million vehicles that could be hacked remotely

The recall includes 1.4 million vehicles equipped with 8.4-inch touchscreens including:

■2013-15 Dodge Vipers

■2013-15 Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups

■2013-15 Ram 3500, 4500, 5500 chassis cabs

■2014-15 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Cherokees

■2014-15 Dodge Durangos

■2015 Chrysler 200, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans

■2015 Dodge Challengers

Owners can visit www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ to input their vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and determine if their vehicles are included in the recall.
          WRX

Comment

I'll take my chances
            '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
            '13 Dodge Cummins
            '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Originally posted by white88 View Post
              I'll take my chances
              I was thinking the same thing, unless they have them ready to just pick up and do yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X