Buying a house with h.o.a... Yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house with h.o.a... Yes or no

Looking at some houses, some are nice, and what we want, but have an hoa. What do you guys think about em? Name of hoa is Spring Tree.
    sigpic

I haven't ever really lived in a subdivision that didn't have an HOA... The first one I was in we got zero benefit from them and I tried my hand at going up against them and lost dearly.

The one I'm in now provides a wealth of value to the people in this community and is largely influenced by the residents.

Long and short, if you're in a good one, it's a good thing, and vice versa....

Comment

That depends on what you want...

I love my hoa, but it's pretty strict and some people hate it. It's usually the people that drop property values that hate a good hoa.

Comment

You need to look at what the HOA charges and what they provide. Some HOAs have minimal charges but provide zero services. Many charge a decent amount but provide good services. You also need to see how open the HOA is. How often do they meet with residents. How can residents affect changes in the HOA without being one of the officials. You also want to know how intrusive they are.

For me personally, it is too much bull and not enough beef for my money. Our old HOA wasn't intrusive but they didn't really do anything to deliver value to me as a home owner. My current home in non-HOA. I'm much happier with the situation. I've had a couple of disagreements with my neighbor but we've acted as adults and sorted it out. We get along rather well. I don't need an HOA to be an adult.

Comment

What are they strict about besides lawn maintenace? Would air compressors be a problem?
          sigpic

Comment

I cant stand our HOA. We get letters all the time for the dumbest shit. It really comes down to how much freedom you want as a home owner.

Comment

Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
              What are they strict about besides lawn maintenace? Would air compressors be a problem?
              In mine trash cans on curb to long, can see my car trailer from the street behind me, garage door open with no one outside, had a family gathering people parked in the grass in the back yard at the end of the driveway

Comment

I'm in one for home value. With that being said Rosco hit it head on, when its good its good... Anyways they are all different and actually change on you as we have had at least 4 company's in the 10 years I have been here. As far as the air compressor, I'm respectful of the neighbors as to when its running and I do alot of work out of my garage and I have never had a issue for it with the HOA.

Comment

I refuse to buy a home with an HOA. Some homes gentrify themselves.

Comment

My first home didnt have an HOA. Renters started moving in on my street and couldn't give two shits about keeping the property up. I was constantly calling the city for high weeds violations.

We finally nutted up, bought a new home with a strict association, and we love it.

Comment

Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
                      Is it inside?

Comment

Nothing like having someone threaten to take away your house because you don't have the exact perfect shade of brown on your house. FUCK living under an HOA.

Whatever HOA you think you might be under, get the full and complete HOA agreement and rules. Then go over them with a fine tooth comb, seriously. And if you have any questions about anything meet with them and get CLEAR answers in writing. Even possibly have an attorney look them over and break it down for you.
                        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Also While hoa's drive around and look for violations the number one thing to do is not piss off your neighbors and draw attention to you. Im friends with all my neighbors and most of them like to come over and see what new project is going on.

Comment

Look at the number of recent posts whining about neighbors...that's another reason to get an HOA. Grass parking, noise, barking dogs...etc.

Comment

We don't have one in our neighborhood. People just keep their shit nice because they care.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                              X