Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/11/86

Listen to FBI Shootout, April 11, 1986 by Bill Cooke 1 #np on #SoundCloud

I remember this when it happened...this shootout is what led to the militarization of law enforcement.

Made for TV movie shootout...

Scene from made for TV movie "In the Line of Duty: The FBI Murders" depicting the gun fight between Michael Platt, William Matix and FBI agents at Southwest ...

Platt was the one who killed both FBI agents, and he had to be shot 12 times before he died.

He was shot in the right arm/upper chest, the right thigh, the left foot, the right forearm, and again in the right arm/chest before he even killed an agent.

I don't blame them for increasing the stopping power of their weapons and ammunition.

I noticed a huge push after the North Hollywood bank robbery shootout as well. Prior to that (at least in CA) almost no patrol officers had rifles. Just pistols and shotguns.

Comment

Almost 3 full months before I was born so I don't remember but I remember the Hollywood shootout. I remember coming home from school and watching it live on the news. It was amazing.
      Originally posted by Marisa
      we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

The FBI shootout led to the adoption of the 10mm as their issued caliber sidearm. Not so much the militarization of the local police forces. The LA bank robbery, in my opinion, had a lot more to do with it since they had to raid local gun shops to get AR15's to have equal firepower.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I was 11 months old, didn't the samething happen in LA with some guys with body armor and the cops had to borrow better guns from a local gun store.

Comment

Look up one post.

Comment

Comment

That wasn't real, that was the a scene from the movie HEAT with Bob DeNiro and Al Pacino...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I remember the Hollywood shoot out in '97. Those guys fired over 3000 rounds and were both shot at least 30 times. The widow of one of the perps sued LAPD over the delayed medical response. It was dismissed.

Crazy scene. I think that one incident had more influence in up-arming LEOs more than any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                    I remember the Hollywood shoot out in '97. Those guys fired over 3000 rounds and were both shot at least 30 times. The widow of one of the perps sued LAPD over the delayed medical response. It was dismissed.

Crazy scene. I think that one incident had more influence in up-arming LEOs more than any other.
                    I don't mind them rolling with SEMI auto ar15's, but I don't think they should be armed with anything the average citizen can't own.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      I don't mind them rolling with SEMI auto ar15's, but I don't think they should be armed with anything the average citizen can't own.
                      Yeah I agree. I think the mraps and other tacticool shit came mostly post-9/11, even post '03 when many troops returning from the Middle East were joining the ranks, asking for more shit, ready to treat US citizens like hajis.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                        Yeah I agree. I think the mraps and other tacticool shit came mostly post-9/11, even post '03 when many troops returning from the Middle East were joining the ranks, asking for more shit, ready to treat US citizens like hajis.
                        It has been, but not so much because of the veterans joining the police force (imo) but because we built way up during the Iraq war, and what they are getting now is the surplus from the draw down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          That wasn't real, that was the a scene from the movie HEAT with Bob DeNiro and Al Pacino...
                          Best movie shootout ever, and the only reason you would need to justify a badass surround sound system.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                            I noticed a huge push after the North Hollywood bank robbery shootout as well. Prior to that (at least in CA) almost no patrol officers had rifles. Just pistols and shotguns.
                            i thought it also had to do with a push for law enforcement having the ability to carry fully auto rifles.

Comment

Working...
                            X