Cutting deals for customers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting deals for customers?

I started my mobile mechanic business last September. My invoices are about 40-60% of the leading competitors in my field. Iv talked with all of the business owners that I deal with and have explained/shown them that what I charge is much less and I dont charge for everything like my competitors do like seat time( I do charge mileage but others charge seat time and mileage), and after hours rates. Iv also cut a lot of deals for customers on fixing their equipment. Which leads me to the last 3 weeks. Iv had 3 different customers that Iv called in order to use their services/equipment. All 3 them have charged me full price on everything. Iv brought up the fact that I dont charge them for industry standards so Im asking for the same treatment. One of which owes me $800 for a trade we made. All 3 of these customers have charged me the same price of any other business and even more in one case.So these customers have caused me to re-evaluate what I charge and how I charge. Im thinking since Iv gone out of my way to cut them deals they should cut me deals. But maybe I shouldnt have ever cut anyone deals and I should charge like my competitors. Albeit not as much as them but still have a rate for everything.
    So what do you guys think? Should I not cut any business deals or should I not expect for them to cut me deals? The other aspect is that maybe one of the reasons they use me a lot is because of my deals and if I dont provide that they wont use me.

First, never use "albeit." It ain't in you. Second, don't cut deals and expect them in return. If you did someone a favor that's all it was, and their memory of it will always be a little hazy.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      First, never use "albeit." It ain't in you. Second, don't cut deals and expect them in return. If you did someone a favor that's all it was, and their memory of it will always be a little hazy.
      Lol, my attempt at fancy words.

Comment

You don't cut a deal with anyone expecting something in return if you don't negotiate that up front. We used to give a discount to our landlord when I had my own IT business, but only after we negotiated a discount on our rent.

You have to develop your pricing and rate structure for all customers to be the same in order to effectively project profit and loss.

Comment

I used to cut deals, now I only cut deals to those I know will return the favor. Procuring business through deals is just asking for trouble because those people that cant afford the real deal want 4 times the amount of work they would normally be paying for. I'd either drop them as a customer or make them pay full price going forward, of course that all depends on your pain threshold for money.

Quite possibly the biggest mistakes in my life have come from underselling myself to get business.

Comment

FYI: Clear and consistent pricing makes it easier on you for the reason Sikverback said. You want to be able to project P&L accurately so you can not only know the state of your business, but be able to get business loans, and accurately pay your taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              FYI: Clear and consistent pricing makes it easier on you for the reason Sikverback said. You want to be able to project P&L accurately so you can not only know the state of your business, but be able to get business loans, and accurately pay your taxes.
              [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrm-rPSCIBw[/ame]
              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I sell rock for a living, for stone and construction. Everyone wants a deal!! I give all the contractors the same discount as every other contractor, and that's it. No special treatment, because then the political side of business starts to get harsher. Fuck that noise. One person gets a better deal, and five other contractors catch wind of it....that's a huge headache.
                Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                  I sell rock for a living, for stone and construction. Everyone wants a deal!! I give all the contractors the same discount as every other contractor, and that's it. No special treatment, because then the political side of business starts to get harsher. Fuck that noise. One person gets a better deal, and five other contractors catch wind of it....that's a huge headache.
                  Sure...suuuuree "for stone and construction"...more like getting stoned.

Heyoooo

Comment

I started out giving deals and trusting people. I got slapped in the face repeatedly. I've learned that the customer isn't your friend and will take just as much as you will allow. No deals, no discounts.

Comment

No discounts/deals. Before long everybody expects shit for free.

And as you've learned, they certainly won't reciprocate any generosity toward you. If anything they see it as weakness and try to fuck you even harder
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        I started out giving deals and trusting people. I got slapped in the face repeatedly. I've learned that the customer isn't your friend and will take just as much as you will allow. No deals, no discounts.

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        No discounts/deals. Before long everybody expects shit for free.

And as you've learned, they certainly won't reciprocate any generosity toward you. If anything they see it as weakness and try to fuck you even harder
                        These guys know

Comment

Nope no deals. It turns into a nightmare remebering what you charged who etc. Then its still never cheap enough and they always want more.

If you feel you are at a good competative price point. Stick with it if you are getting the work you need to grow.

Comment

If you're going to look at advancement with that grocery store chain, you need to learn how to do some accounting and finance. Also hoes love finance, and they take accounting classes.

Comment

I've

Comment

Working...
                              X