Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an average deal for a mini dirt bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an average deal for a mini dirt bike?

I've been wanting to get the kids a little Polaris 90 atv...something to have a little fun. Well, a while back someone here suggested to someone else here to get their kid a dirt bike. Something about teaching them fundamentals or something. Anyway, it got me thinking that a dirt bike might be more fun. I had a Honda 50 mini dirt bike when I was a kid. Had a few wipe outs but never broke anything fortunately. So while browsing CL to get an idea of whats out there, I come across this.

After wading through the Chinese junk (which I don't know if I should avoid entirely), there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of kid sized dirt bikes for sale.

My youngest is 9 and I want to say at least 52" tall.

I had to google the bike I had... brings back a lot of fun memories

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
      I had to google the bike I had... brings back a lot of fun memories

That's what I grew up on.

Get a dirtbike, an atv is a death trap for a kid, force them to learn balance and operation on 2 wheels and they'll be better for it.

My next step for my son is a newer KTM 50. Need something with a better clutch. And hopefully he'll be on a 65 by 8 or 9. He'll be 7 this August, and is in his 3rd season.

Comment

Bike posted by the op is worth $500 at the top end.....
        2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post

My next step for my son is a newer KTM 50. Need something with a better clutch. And hopefully he'll be on a 65 by 8 or 9. He'll be 7 this August, and is in his 3rd season.
          Isn't he already on a KTM50, and didn't you already replace the clutch?

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
          Bike posted by the op is worth $500 at the top end.....
          Agreed.

OP - I may be biased, but 2 strokes are far easier to work on IMO. The one you posted is 4 stroke.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I just got my little thumpstar running again.. one of you fuckers (Sean, Brent) need this for your kid it's an absolute blast but i need cash for house projects. 4 stroke 125, clutched 4 speed on what would probably be a 65 or 80 frame.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
              I just got my little thumpstar running again.. one of you fuckers (Sean, Brent) need this for your kid it's an absolute blast but i need cash for house projects. 4 stroke 125, clutched 4 speed on what would probably be a 65 or 80 frame.
              I've got 2 4 wheelers and 3 motorcycles in my garage. We definitely don't need it. Lol

Comment

The chinese stuff isnt too bad if hes just learning and riding around in a field. Once he starts riding hard and jumps thats were the chinese frames start to show weakness. If it was me id start looking for a klx 110, the aftermarket is insane for it. And once he gets bored with it you can start riding it. I have a built klx and its probably the most fun ive ever had on 2 wheels.

As far as 2 strokes vs 4 strokes... New rider 4 stroke all the way.

Comment

I dare say the frame on my Chinese bike is stronger than a crf50 or similar, but realize that it's an exception and not the rule.

Comment

I'll probably go check out the little Chinese bikes just to get a feel for the size. It would be there first bike (my 11yr daughter would probably want to ride it too). So the KTM would be a good bike to check out too? I'd like to find something that's reliable and will last a while without paying the big name price tag.

Comment

Ktm is not a cheap brand.. I bet for sub 1k you could find a good ttr

Comment

Should be able to find a KLX110, TTR, etc for under a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          Isn't he already on a KTM50, and didn't you already replace the clutch?

Agreed.

OP - I may be biased, but 2 strokes are far easier to work on IMO. The one you posted is 4 stroke.
                          He is, and I have. But the 01-08 run a show style clutch with a washer stack, so I have to pull the clutch every 2 hours or so to clean it all. The 09+ is better, more traditional style. The 11 (or 13+) use a rekluse style auto clutch. Maintenance intervals increase to 50 hours or so, and reliability is a helluva lot better.

But that cost...

Comment

Pardon the neck break (fuck you samsung)...

Comment

Working...
                            X