Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House construction...when do windows get installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House construction...when do windows get installed?

Do windows get installed before or after the brick? I assume before, right?

during

Comment

Typically, before.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Usually they pour slab, then frame, put up exterior wall boards, roof and then windows. Then it is "dried in". Brick usually goes on after it is dried in.

Comment

Windows should go in at the same time they install the sheathing and any siding that goes on the house. Definitely before brick.

We install our windows on top of our thermo ply (sheathing. Thermo ply, thermo shield, some use zip board) and then we seal the windows to the sheathing with a water proof tape

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Before the brick. Usually installed by the framers or sheathers

Comment

is this the same rule for fixed windows?...as in windows that do not open?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                is this the same rule for fixed windows?...as in windows that do not open?
                Yes. They should be in the same frames and you want them sealed to the sheathing as well.

Brick, stone, and mortar are porous. So what you wantvto happen behind that, in the event moisture penetrates to the envelope of the home, is for water to roll down to the slap and exit the weep holes in the brick. In addition to that, windows will be caulked to the brick. You want the same thing to happen if water penetrates that caulking. The idea is, with the exception of the window sash opening, that the home should be almost water proof without the veneer (brick/stone/stucco/siding) applied.

I assume you have an issue where they are bricking your home and they are missing a window?

Caveat: I have bricked a home missing a couple of windows, we bricked all but that section so that we could install the windows and seal them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

This house basically burned out and they took it down to just the studs. Now they have replaced all the roof structure and roofing. They couldn't match the brick so they tore it all off and putting up new brick. Looks like they are just doing OSB instead of sheathing. No windows or brick on site yet. I was just wondering how much time I may have since I plan to hire the brick layers for some work at my place.

Comment

like they said, windows before brick. If they are doing replacement windows, it wont matter as the original frame stays. Since they are doing new brick, they should just use new construction windows.

Either way, make sure they use a house wrap of some sort. Adding exterior sheet foam would be a great idea. Tape all the seams and make sure the windows are taped properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X