Need Some 4 Wheela Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David View Post
    What's slow? I'm not going to try and jump and canyons or win anyraces. But I would like to get out of everyone else's way.
    I was referring to the single seater RZR that kingjason mentioned. I really have no idea. All I can say is that if I went that route, I'd have a hard time not buying the 2 seater RZR 1000cc. But you're not going for a side by side, so that makes it moot.

As for slow on a 4x4, they're all slow except for the racing quads. It all comes down to how much power you think you'll need. What type of off-roading you're going to be doing, (mudholes, sand, deep water, etc). You don't want to be the guy constantly having to get pulled out by your buddy's 1000 if you're on a 350. I'd go with a bigger bike like 700+ if cost isn't an issue.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I purchased a 2008 Yamaha grizzly 700 new from the dealer. I have had zero problems. I ride trails and use it to pull little trailers around on my land.

Comment

yamaha lack in power, but you never have to take them to the shop. Polaris keeps the mechanics around here in business. drive belts cv joints etc.

The polaris has better features on paper, but yamaha gets it done imho. If you want one for play the can am's build a decent machine as well.

Btw my 550 2014 model does 60 down the highway no problem. Id does lack in low end tq when in high range. Put it in 4wd and its went everywhere ive ever wanted. Ive never put it in low or locked the front diff.

Comment

A buddy of mine has a Grizzly. I forget what year/size but the power steering is nice. It's a nice quad. My only dislike (even though it's not mine) is that they gear selector is on the left hand side. The left hand is already on the hand brake so you have to reach over with your right hand to change the gear...seems kinds silly to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            A buddy of mine has a Grizzly. I forget what year/size but the power steering is nice. It's a nice quad. My only dislike (even though it's not mine) is that they gear selector is on the left hand side. The left hand is already on the hand brake so you have to reach over with your right hand to change the gear...seems kinds silly to me.
            The left hand brake is the rear brake, which is at your right foot also.

Comment

I don't know how I ride and have no experience doing it. Me and some friend are just trying to find something else to do. I'd like a razor thing, but I'm not losing garage space or 11-$20k for something I'll use legitimently 3 times a year max.
              I think the best advice is to try to get out and look at some different models and decide how you think you'll use it before you lay down the money...if you have friends with machines, hit them up and go out for a ride. Hell, if you are anywhere near me you're welcome to come out and take mine for a spin

FWIW, you can get into a decent 800cc RZR in the $6K-$8K range. Mine is an 09' LE and I've been thinking about selling it and getting into a Jeep or a Samurai...I figure it would go for around $7K and it has quite a bit of accessories on it...but I've seen several standard models out there closer to $6K. The 800 won't really take up much more room than a utility type ATV. My RZR is only 2" wider than my 500 Sportsman...it is a bit taller though, with the cage.
              70' Chevelle RagTop
              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                .... And painfully slow?
                What's slow? I'm not going to try and jump and canyons or win anyraces. But I would like to get out of everyone else's way.
                60 MPH slow on a trail or out 4x4 ing? They had a turbo standard ace run with a XP1000 no problem. I don't know if the guy has done the kit for the 570 yet. I am very happy with the speed, I am just waiting for the suspension mods. It actually jumps fairly well but I would like a nice ELKA set up. No hurry though I bought it for the wife. Plus it fits in the back of your truck and a third of the price.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                  The left hand brake is the rear brake, which is at your right foot also.
                  Yeah I know. I guess it's just habit to use the hand brake when changing to a drive gear or back into park.

Comment

I really like my Grizzly. I've only needed 4x4 when pulling other people out though, it's really a waste if you have a friend with a bigger quad or SxS. You think you need it when you don't have it but then when you get it you realize it just gets you stuck in deeper ruts.

If you've never ridden before you'd probably be amazed at the capabilities of the cheaper 250-350cc entry level quads. Even something like a 2wd Ozark 250 will go 40+ mph through the woods and climb more stuff than most people are willing to attempt.

Yamaha just brought the Kodiak line back this year as well. It's a more of a bare bones Grizzly with a mechanical transfer case shifter but gets the bigger engine from the Wolverine. So more power but cheaper, with a little bit less suspension travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                      I think the best advice is to try to get out and look at some different models and decide how you think you'll use it before you lay down the money...if you have friends with machines, hit them up and go out for a ride. Hell, if you are anywhere near me you're welcome to come out and take mine for a spin

FWIW, you can get into a decent 800cc RZR in the $6K-$8K range. Mine is an 09' LE and I've been thinking about selling it and getting into a Jeep or a Samurai...I figure it would go for around $7K and it has quite a bit of accessories on it...but I've seen several standard models out there closer to $6K. The 800 won't really take up much more room than a utility type ATV. My RZR is only 2" wider than my 500 Sportsman...it is a bit taller though, with the cage.
                      I was looking at samurai rigs lately.

Ded

Comment

Working...
                      X