Need Some 4 Wheela Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some 4 Wheela Advice

I know jack shit about these things other than me and some buddies plan on doing some off-roading and living off them a couple weeks a year. I like the Polaris Sportsman 850s.

Are these really $9-10k wastes of money? How used is ragged out and should be passed on if looking used? Where's the best place to buy and is it really after deer season?

If it has a snorkel, pass. Other than that, check the same things you would with a car. Milky oil on a 4 wheeler doesn't necessarily mean bad head gasket. It could have been sunk in a water hole. But I wouldn't buy anything with milky oil regardless of what the owner said. Check suspension, make sure they smoothly shift through all gears, etc. make sure both hi and lo work in 4x4. Stay away from funny noises, etc.

Like with bikes, the prices seem to drop with the temperatures.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

If I had the money I'd get a new razor XP1000 and call it a day.
      sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
      🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

bcoop, have you heard anything about your stolen stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
          If I had the money I'd get a new razor XP1000 and call it a day.
          No

Comment

If u will be trail riding then stick with a nice IRS wheeler. Honda Rincon would be my first choice for a IRS wheeler with good power and reliable. Next would be a Grizzly 660 or 700 as they are reliable also and a smooth ride. From there it would be Canam or Polaris.

Nothing wrong with buying used u just have to know what to look for. I bought both my 06 Canam Outlander used and they whwre like new machines without that 9K price tag. Look for them in OK, Ark, or Central Texas where mud riding isn't the big thing.
            Last edited by MstangsBware; 07-11-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I loved my grizzly 800, had push button 4wd, push button axle lockers, power steering, and IRS. If I get another I will probably look at them first.

Comment

Another vote for a grizzly. I use mine everyday for work here on the farm.

Comment

I've had 4 Polaris and all were/are very reliable machines. Early-on I had a couple carbureted ones, and they did suffer some power loss on our Colorado trips, so I moved to EFI units. Both my Sportsman X2 EFI and the RZR have been great for the high altitude trips.

The only complaint I have is with the X2 Sportsman...mine is an 07', and the downhill ascent control is always on when it's in 4WD....both HI and LOW range, and it should only be on at lower speeds in LOW range. However, the fact that it can apply rear braking on it's own (even in HIGH range at higher speeds) resulted in me now having a plate, 12 screws, and a large metal rod in my left arm...for the rest of my life. I didn't sue Polaris, probably should have, but I do know that they corrected that design flaw starting with the 09' year model.

Depending on how you ride and what shape you are in, I will tell you that there is no beating a side-by-side when it comes to distance. I rode standard ATV's for years before I bought my RZR, and on those machines I would generally be pretty beat-up and wore-out after a full day on the mountain trails. When we went up we would usually ride every other day because we needed those down days in between. However, after I got the RZR I was good to go several days in a row. It's not nearly as hard on you as the traditional style ATVs are, and it's also damned nice to have the extra space to carry all your gear....plus a windshield and roof sure are nice when those sudden showers or snow hits.
                  70' Chevelle RagTop
                  (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I don't know how I ride and have no experience doing it. Me and some friend are just trying to find something else to do. I'd like a razor thing, but I'm not losing garage space or 11-$20k for something I'll use legitimently 3 times a year max.
                    Last edited by David; 07-12-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                      I've had 4 Polaris and all were/are very reliable machines. Early-on I had a couple carbureted ones, and they did suffer some power loss on our Colorado trips, so I moved to EFI units. Both my Sportsman X2 EFI and the RZR have been great for the high altitude trips.

The only complaint I have is with the X2 Sportsman...mine is an 07', and the downhill ascent control is always on when it's in 4WD....both HI and LOW range, and it should only be on at lower speeds in LOW range. However, the fact that it can apply rear braking on it's own (even in HIGH range at higher speeds) resulted in me now having a plate, 12 screws, and a large metal rod in my left arm...for the rest of my life. I didn't sue Polaris, probably should have, but I do know that they corrected that design flaw starting with the 09' year model.

Depending on how you ride and what shape you are in, I will tell you that there is no beating a side-by-side when it comes to distance. I rode standard ATV's for years before I bought my RZR, and on those machines I would generally be pretty beat-up and wore-out after a full day on the mountain trails. When we went up we would usually ride every other day because we needed those down days in between. However, after I got the RZR I was good to go several days in a row. It's not nearly as hard on you as the traditional style ATVs are, and it's also damned nice to have the extra space to carry all your gear....plus a windshield and roof sure are nice when those sudden showers or snow hits.
                      Yup.
                      sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                      🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                        bcoop, have you heard anything about your stolen stuff?
                        Nope.

A few more points... Yamaha has the most advanced and reliable auto transmission on the market. Hondas are ridiculously reliable. Even the older FourTrax models. I could be mistaken, but I don't think they make the big bikes (700cc and up).

We love our Grizzlies as well. One is an 09, the other 2011. Both 4x4, both IRS, both 350cc. The 2011 got stolen recently, but the only issues we've had out of either was due to someone forgetting to drain the fuel bowl after use, and one issue with the electronics on the 2011 getting wet during massive rainfall. Creek was pretty deep and we had to cross it to pull a truck out. Neither ever got stuck, but we weren't putting them in mudholes either. Farm use and light entertainment use with the kids are their primary purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                          I don't know how I ride and have no experience doing it. Me and some friend are just trying to find something else to do. I'd like a razor thing, but I'm not losing garage space or 11-$20k for something I'll use legitimently 3 times a year max.
                          I have a Ace 570 from Polaris and that thing is a blast. Single seat, auto, 4x4, fits all the four wheeler trails, and cheaper than some four wheelers.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            I have a Ace 570 from Polaris and that thing is a blast. Single seat, auto, 4x4, fits all the four wheeler trails, and cheaper than some four wheelers.
                            .... And painfully slow?

Comment

What's slow? I'm not going to try and jump and canyons or win anyraces. But I would like to get out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Working...
                              X