Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
    No sir.
    Just curious. His main property is actually outside of Granbury, but he owns a house or two in Dallas as well. Pretty nice guy with lots of badass cars.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecollar View Post
      One of them happen to be an older gentleman named Les?
      Last tally has 20 in D/FW (although they misspelled Perrot):

Alice Walton, Andy Beal, Kelcy Warren and:

No. 82: Robert Rowling, $6.1 billion
      No. 84: Ray Hunt, $6 billion
      No. 92: Trevor Rees-Jones, $5.4 billion
      No. 119: Jerry Jones, $4.2 billion
      No. 133: H. Ross Perot Sr., $3.9 billion
      No. 187: Ray Davis, $3.1 billion
      No. 191: Robert Bass, $3.1 billion
      No. 224: Richard Rainwater, $2.8 billion
      No. 226: Tim Headington, $2.7 billion
      No. 227: Mark Cuban, $2.7 billion
      No. 234: W. Herbert Hunt, $2.7 billion
      No. 253: David Bonderman, $2.6 billion
      No. 281: Edward Bass, $2.3 billion
      No. 281: Lee Bass, $2.3 billion
      No. 314: Gerald Ford, $2.1 billion
      No. 328: Sid Bass, $2 billion
      No. 345: H. Ross Perot Jr., $1.9 billion

****EDIT - my bad, this list isn't all billionaires, just the top 400 in the US.
      Last edited by slow99; 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

10 off that list are clients, 3 of those I will never meet, 1 has a daughter we deal most with (no pics).

Geez, I forget sometimes who I'm working with.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
          10 off that list are clients, 3 of those I will never meet, 1 has a daughter we deal most with (no pics).

Geez, I forget sometimes who I'm working with.
          I've only met Tim Headington from that list - nice guy.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

He's the biggest partier on the list. He's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              So you have met SVO!
              Sounds like he has met him 4 times.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                I'm just trying to decide if svo is billionaire #1 or billionaire #2.
                Not a billionaire at all. The only private jet I have flow on was owned by the company that I worked for and I was just a tag along. The most I have ever paid for a night in a hotel was $600-$700 and I hate taking vacations.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post

****EDIT - my bad, this list isn't all billionaires, just the top 400 in the US.

DFW has a few that are not well known. Georg Schaeffler has a house in Dallas and so does Don McNamara.
                  Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post

Met him, worked and was friends with his youngest daughter.

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                    DFW has a few that are not well known. Georg Schaeffler a house in Dallas and so does Don McNamara.
                    Last I heard Don was living on Pebble Beach, though that was several years back.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Sheesh...the richest person I know pulls in ~$1.2M/year. No idea his net worth, but I'm sure it's not apart of that list.

Edit: Just Googled him and his stock options put him at the lower end, $10MM. That said, he's a nice, easy going guy. Takes one BIG vacation a year. I asked him once how he knew he made it and he said, "The day I realized I could go to any steak house, enjoy a really good steak and not worry about paying for it."
                      Last edited by GhostTX; 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                        "The day I realized I could go to any steak house, enjoy a really good steak and not worry about paying for it."
                        Me too, it is called credit
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Little story that expands on the OPs post.

I handle art and antiquities for museums and collectors (a lot of you know this). One of the billionaires on that list is someone that we work for often. Every Labor Day weekend, they hire us to come out so that we can collect all of their valuables so they can have their walls painted a fresh coat of white. This place is a museum, no kids, an old dog.....the walls are fine, but whatever.

One year, they decided to remodel their kitchen at the same time. It was then that I experienced a level of eccentricity not seen before or since. We were tasked with accurately cataloging and packing every item in their kitchen. Accurately cataloging in this sense meant photographing a layer, removing that layer and packing. Rinse and repeat. This had to be done for everything. Why? Because they wanted EVERYTHING to go back exactly as it was.

Take a moment and imagine your kitchen. Your cups, your plates and bowls, your pantry, your junk drawer.....yes, the junk drawer. Everything had to go back facing/laying/rotated the same as it was originally. The junk drawer (yes, they have a massive one) was like methodically uncovering a dinosaur, only to bury it again by putting each grain of sand exactly where it was.

These are not things that normal people do. When you're that rich, normalcy becomes an abstract idea. Most of our clients are really cool, with us. We're handling items that they are often passionate about, so I am sure my interactions are different than with other people.
                          Last edited by diablo rojo; 07-10-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

One local person on that list has a fleet of two helicopters, a G500, a G550 and a 737. I have rode in several of them. He has a house in Spain, a castle in England, a house in California, an operating ranch here in DFW and a 17,000 acre ranch in South Africa.

He isn't stingy either, he gives away money right and left to cause after cause. Especially for any cause that helps veterans. If a veteran comes to our company looking for a job, he is hired. Generally I have found that the super wealthy are some of the most generous people you will ever meet. It's the "wanna-be" types that are assholes.

It's a whole different world these people live in for sure.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              One local person on that list has a fleet of two helicopters, a G500, a G550 and a 737. I have rode in several of them. He has a house in Spain, a castle in England, a house in California, an operating ranch here in DFW and a 17,000 acre ranch in South Africa.

He isn't stingy either, he gives away money right and left to cause after cause. Especially for any cause that helps veterans. If a veteran comes to our company looking for a job, he is hired. Generally I have found that the super wealthy are some of the most generous people you will ever meet. It's the "wanna-be" types that are assholes.

It's a whole different world these people live in for sure.
                              And he had to sell a business he owned for 4 billion dollars just to pay off some of the debt his son incurred in bad real estate deals and some trip around the world

Comment

I like being poor.

Comment

Working...
                                X