Self Evaluations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Evaluations...

Does anyone else think these are the biggest TWoT? (Total Waste of Time)

Let's discuss.

as a leader, I'll tell you they have their place.

When I read my team's self evals, occasionally I'll find gaps where something thinks they are performing at a higher level than I do. This is an opportunity for me to address the situation and make sure we are both on the same page when it comes to merit increases and bonuses. I look at it as a training and mentoring opportunity for both of us.

Comment

I have to admit, at previous employers, I can agree. But when you're told by managers to just cut/paste from the mid year, then reword it... what difference does it make. Especially when it's obvious that the manager comments are nothing but fluff. It's frustrating when it's suppose to help one's career growth and it doesn't.

Comment

You gotta fluff yourself up...because if you dont believe in yourself why should anyone else?

Ive actually heard someone in hr say that...but not in those exact words

Comment

self evaluations are a good place for you to standout by showing a modicum of effort.

Comment

I'm a badass. My cock is huge, and all girls want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              You gotta fluff yourself up...because if you dont believe in yourself why should anyone else?

Ive actually heard someone in hr say that...but not in those exact words
              ok, so at the mid-year, I did just that.... Not really fluff, but I listed some accomplishments WITH examples, etc., rated myself as exceeding expectations, then was told "that was just doing my job" so I was re-rated as meeting expectations.

At the EoY, I rated myself as "meeting expectations" and I'm told that its not good enough. "it's my time to brag" and list accomplishments. WTF?!?!

Comment

Just write about how awesome you are and that you will take your manager's job in the near future...

Comment

I always rate myself as high as possible and let them tell me if they disagree. The way I look at it, if I were to acknowledge that I deserve a lower score, then why haven't I corrected the problem? Why would I knowingly just coast along doing less than the very best?

I would rather rate myself at the top, make them question whether or not they have any reason to disagree, and then have explain their reasoning to me, vs rate myself mediocre and put them in a position to just agree with my ratings, making it easier to tell me I'm mediocre.

So far, this method has worked out very well for me.

Comment

In my experience, they're a waste of time. No matter what accomplishments and goals you obtained, the managers file it away and assigns you your predetermined performance number.
                    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

My company changed to a self assessment program a few years ago. Now we set our own goals for the year* and then evaluate our progress on the goals** and rate our performance***. It's wonderful.

*copy and paste goals sent from management
                      **copy and paste our scores sent from management
                      ***select a 1-5 score

Comment

We use it. Great waste of time.

Comment

Do any of you have the performance split in to "whats"(goals) and "hows"(competency)? The goals are everything we are expected to meet, and then the competency is your attributes or work ethics. You basically make progress notes on all of this and then give yourself a score at the end of the period.

This all just what the company calls the "performance plan".

You have a whole other "development plan" you are supposed to keep up with too.

Comment

I don't really have reviews. My "review" a couple months ago was going to lunch with my boss and not saying one word regarding work. Which makes sense, because we really don't have to do anything here. Any work I do is completely on my own volition. It's nice in some ways, but it kinda sucks in others.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

It's made up busy work. Goals, achievements, bla bla it's all a waste of time. There been years I've met every goal went above and beyond worked 6-7 days a week for the entire year and get a rating of meet expectations. Then there years I don't do a damn thing and get above expectations.

I not sure if its like this any where else but I have concluded just give me the meets expectation and leave me the fuck alone. Dangle that carrot in front of someone else face.

Comment

Working...
                              X