Dealing with Police on stolen car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with Police on stolen car...

So I am a lean holder on a car that was stolen Sunday. The customer called and filed the report and got a report number and brought that to us early Monday.

The car happened to have GPS on it so we located it and called the police to give them the information and they said they could not take it. We were told to call 911 and give the dispatcher the information.

So we did. and 911 told us that they could not take the information and to call the Stolen vehicle line and gave us the number,. when we called that number they told us they could not take it and to call 911 back and give it to them.

So again we called 911 who in turn sent a police office out to the lot. We pulled up the location on the screen and showed him the car was located in the middle of a heavily wood area. The officer then told us that we had to drive over there and physically locate the vehicle and then call 911 again and have an officer dispatched to the location.

After we argued that the idea of us going there was stupid the officer eventually agreed to check it out.

Has anyone ever dealt with Dallas PD with a stolen vehicle. I just couldn't believe that they were so insisted that they did not want to know the location of a stolen vehicle.

Wow, you actually got a DPD officer to show up. Now getting them to recover a car, that's going to be a real challenge.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

No one wants the paper work, no one gives a shit, and it absolutely sucks.

I think it's hilarious (sad) that you'd have to vigilante up, and go put your hands physically on the car before they'd give a shit.
      sigpic

Comment

Just think of yourself as a customer, and the Police as customer service. How often have you received great customer service from a domestic company?

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          Wow, you actually got a DPD officer to show up. Now getting them to recover a car, that's going to be a real challenge.
          I was surprised about that as well.. Only about 10 minutes after getting off the phone the officer showed up.

Comment

I always thought dinger was dammitsteve, hmm!

Comment

I think the DPD lets the county sheriff and their NTATTF handle these types of things.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                I think the DPD lets the county sheriff and their NTATTF handle these types of things.

ahhh, so he needs to dial 911 option 7

Comment

Stolen property is such a weird lawsuit zone, everyone is hesitant.

Comment

Just a small update.. the officer called us and said he could not see it from the road and now was on another call.

So my mechanic said he would go check it out and located it. Luckily it was not completely stripped. Wheels and tires are gone but the truck (1992 chevy 1500) still in decent condition. Interior all there and motor still in the truck. Now we just have to figure out out how to dig it out of a mud hole with no tires on it.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                      Stolen property is such a weird lawsuit zone, everyone is hesitant.
                      Being a car lot would be even trickier, because if it was his customer that took the car, then it would have to be a repo, and no cops involved. Even trickier, the lien holder technically isn't the owner, the customer is, so he should really be giving the customer the GPS info and having that guy deal with the cops.

Comment

If you want the police to care about a stolen car in Dallas, you must tell them that someone stole it, then ran over a kid, and shot a police officer while running away.

Then, they might get excited about it. And, you will also be in trouble for lying, false report, etc..

So, what I learned is, it's a losing battle.

When I found my stolen hatch 10 years ago, and told them that I found it, and I was about to retrieve it myself, even though it belonged to the insurance company, they didn't care. I told them I found it and new where it was, and was going to get it, and if they had any interest in it at all they should be there within 24 hours, they didn't respond or care.

For that matter, neither did the insurance company.

Comment

This entire post is depressing as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            Just think of yourself as a customer, and the Police as customer service. How often have you received great customer service from a domestic company?
                            Customer service for a company that doesn't have to sell anything, doesn't have to show a profit and has a monopoly.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Customer service for a company that doesn't have to sell anything, doesn't have to show a profit and has a monopoly.
                              Police are the Comcast of jurisprudence.

Comment

Working...
                              X