Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric ‘68 Mustang Hits 60 MPH in 2 Seconds, Eats Teslas for Breakfast

Electric ‘68 Mustang Hits 60 MPH in 2 Seconds, Eats Teslas for Breakfast
    This classic 1968 Mustang has received an electric makeover from Mitch Medford and electric drag racer John Wayland. The two turned the car into something that easily bests the Tesla Model S P85D on the track.

They call it the Zombie 222, and it looks like it’s only a lightly modified Mustang fastback. Open the hood, though, and you see the changes are much deeper. The stock V8 engine has been replaced by two electric motors rated at a total 440 volts. They’re linked to a high-capacity battery pack designed for track driving. This all sends over 800 horsepower and 1,800 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels.

This gives the car a 0-62 time of 1.94 seconds and a top speed over 174 mph. All this with a full body, full interior, and regular glass windows— so there were no special weight savings to give it an advantage. This is every bit a genuine Mustang and not a stripped our racer. It does get some advantage from a Bilstein front suspension and 13″ Brembo brakes.

It’s completely street legal in its home state of Texas with a range of 40 to 140 miles depending on the size of the battery pack. Medford, owner of Bloodshed Motors, is in the business of turning muscle cars and other classic cars into electric vehicles. Including the cost of the donor vehicle, it’ll run you $200,000 to $250,00.

Pretty cool seeing it at the mile...and not making vroom vroom noises.
    Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
    I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

Originally posted by POSYJ View Post
      Pretty cool seeing it at the mile...and not making vroom vroom noises.
      Electic cars are definitely a shock to the senses.

Comment

I feel like I should hate this, but I love it.

Comment

That car was at the Good Guys show this spring. I glanced at it for a second or two.

Comment

Love it.

Wish the paint wasn't so garish. Not EVERY electric car has to use lime green as an accent color.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              Love it.

Wish the paint wasn't so garish. Not EVERY electric car has to use lime green as an accent color.
              Environmental green

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                Environmental green
                Exactly.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I want to know how much a setup like this ends up weighing.

When you can get a setup with this sort of power increase without a weight penalty, decent range, and quick recharge rate these will start to become really viable.
                  1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                  1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                  2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Labora View Post

When you can get a setup with this sort of power increase without a weight penalty, decent range, and quick recharge rate these will start to become really viable.
                    And, you know, when it doesn't take $200,000 in modifications.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Where is Tony Stark and his mini arc reactor when you need him...
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Per this article about 600lbs heavier than the gas setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                          And, you know, when it doesn't take $200,000 in modifications.
                          The last setup I looked at that was not a performance setup was about 40k in parts depending on how it was optioned out.

Which is why I said it needs to be all those things! Hopefully the battery tech continues to improve and the cost keeps coming down.

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          Per this article about 600lbs heavier than the gas setup.

http://gas2.org/2014/06/12/john-wayl...ctric-mustang/
                          That is a good bit, added. For the cost to buy in right now not worth it, you could make a killer gas motor for the sort of coin they will have in a setup like that.
                          1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                          1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                          2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                            Where is Tony Stark and his mini arc reactor when you need him...
                            In or around Pepper Potts' mouth, if I had to guess.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X