Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody worked somewhere that basically all of their family members worked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody worked somewhere that basically all of their family members worked?

So I was up in Fort Worth a couple of weeks ago visiting family and was talking to my dad and he informed me that my cousin just quit Five Star Ford and we started reminiscing about the place since he was the last of us to be there. Pretty much everybody in my family, my age and a little younger at some point worked there. I had about six years in the place and worked my way up to service advisor, one of my uncles was the service director, another uncle was a service advisor that worked alongside me who was let go by the other uncle, had like 5 or 6 cousins, and my little brother work there. I think a couple of 2nd or 3rd cousins work there.

I know, boring story, but it's pouring down rain here in Austin again and our TV connection is out so I'm bored. Just wanted to know if anybody else has had a place that basically supported the entire family in one way or another. I kinda miss it. Got to work with family and friends...met a lot of good people, and a few douches. Some of who are on this site.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

I've worked at the same place as my father, even during the same time for a while. I actually wanted to always have a business that had generation after generation working. I've read about some situations and was jealous.

If we had something like that, I think I'd be more tolerable as to what I'd have to do; not the picky bitch I am today.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      I've worked at the same place as my father, even during the same time for a while. I actually wanted to always have a business that had generation after generation working. I've read about some situations and was jealous.

If we had something like that, I think I'd be more tolerable as to what I'd have to do; not the picky bitch I am today.
      My dad is co-owner of B&B Propeller in NRH. I've always wondered if he's wanted that for me or my brother but has never mentioned it. The majority owners son apparently wants nothing to do with it though.

Comment

Maybe both owners would like a son (from either side) to get involved. Passing on what a person has built up to their children means a lot to people. More so than being bought out near their end.

Comment

Maybe both owners would like a son (from either side) to get involved. Passing on what a person has built up to their children means a lot to people. More so than being bought out near their end.
          True. I need to ask him about it. I don't know if I really want to get in to it, but I would like to see where he thinks it would go. It's an awesome place. I'd go there every day after school, my last semester of highschool since football was over. I'd just BS with all of the (hangabouts) is what my dad would call them. Customers/friends that would just hang out there for hours bullshitting and drinking keystone.

Comment

Sounds like it's more than just a place of employment for both of you.

Also, you don't have to get involved operationally. Even taking his portion and just being a silent partner would help keep the spirit alive.

Comment

Sounds like it's more than just a place of employment for both of you.

Also, you don't have to get involved operationally. Even taking his portion and just being a silent partner would help keep the spirit alive.
              Only two people work there. Him and the majority owner. I think that's actually what I love about the place. It's a small business that has a specific market, and neither of the owners wanna expand more than that. It's just being content with what you have and providing.

Comment

My dad bought into a railroad limo company (they are really shuttle vans) after he retired the second time. He worked there with one of my brothers and sisters and a brother in law. That company actually did really well until they were outbid by Renzenberger.

At my last store we had a dad that was the operations manager while his son was the plant manager, whose wife was an accountant. They all still work for us now but since we are publicly traded they've moved to different locations. Also pretty much all of the dismantlers and yard workers were related somehow.

Comment

Grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts and myself have worked or still work for TI/Raytheon.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                    My dad is co-owner of B&B Propeller in NRH.
                    On that old part of Rufe Snow, just north of Hwy 26? I've driven past it for years.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

There is a t-belt with your name on it.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

When I worked at TI, my Dad, Brother, and Cousin worked there at the same time. Only my Dad still works there.
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Me and all my family worked in a corn field before coming to the USA
                          Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

Comment

I worked with/for my dad in early days, doing fire/flood restoration work in houses. I enjoyed being able to spend that much time with him. We had 7 employees at one point, and he held me to a higher standard than everyone else. It was good for me, and the other guys would comment that I got rode harder than anyone else. That was my dad's goal, so that I wasnt the typical "bosses son" that got away with everything. There are times that I wish things were different, and we could have continued growing that company.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                              My dad is co-owner of B&B Propeller in NRH. I've always wondered if he's wanted that for me or my brother but has never mentioned it. The majority owners son apparently wants nothing to do with it though.
                              Damn, small world. My first auto parts job was right next door in the shopping center, back when it used to be A-1 Auto Parts. The same family that owned it, now run Bob's Auto Repair on Baker Blvd, across the street from NuWay.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X