No announcement yet.

Anyone protest there home tax his year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone protest there home tax his year?

Just went to the Denton appraisal distract and made a significant improvement on the taxes they are fucking me out of. The sad part of all the time and work (which wasn't really that much) I put into this I only saved 360 or so bucks but I guess its more the principle of it all. Anyone else do it?

Yep, they rejected me pretty quickly - I just bought a couple years ago. Agreed to let one of those dispute places go fight them for me to see if they have any luck.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Disputed mine myself. After I presented my case, they offered an appraisal that was $16000 less
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        Yep, they rejected me pretty quickly - I just bought a couple years ago. Agreed to let one of those dispute places go fight them for me to see if they have any luck.
        oh? how much does that cost?

Comment

I did mine online and just told them what value I thought, no research or anything, and they dropped it to just above what I suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
            oh? how much does that cost?
            The place I'm using takes 40% of the first year tax savings; I pay them nothing if they can't save me anything.
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

Ahhh the Texas-not-income Tax.

Comment

I disputed mine and now have a protest hearing on June 9th. We'll see how this shit goes.

Comment

Generally those places that protest it for you start at $100 and it goes up depending on the home value, or as slow99 mentioned some take a percentage of the savings you would gain.

I used to have a realtor friend that did it for me. He just collected info on comps that have sold in the same area for less and presented them with the protest.

McKinney has jacked the value on mine $60k in the last couple of years. I usually protest it every year or two if they have raised it significantly and have generally gotten it reduced $5-10k.
                  Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                  Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

I bought my house in December of '14, and their appraisal was $14k higher than what I paid. I stopped by their office and told them that and they knew exactly what I paid and reduced it to that. I was hoping it would have been LOWER than what I paid, but at least it's not more.

Comment

House prices are coming back up, right? Wouldn't the higher appraisal be natural?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                        House prices are coming back up, right? Wouldn't the higher appraisal be natural?
                        Yes, but County tax appraisals are horse shit. They don't actually do appraisals. Assume you own a home. I'm a county tax assessor, and I say your home increased in value $100,000 this year. A number I totally pulled out of my ass, btw. Are you going to sit back and say, well, ok, I guess I owe taxes on that additional $100,000?

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because I say your home value increased xx, doesn't mean anyone is willing to pay that for it. The county TAD doesn't have to provide any back up to their appraisal. They can say whatever they want, and you have to prove them wrong. Beyond that, property taxes are a fucking sham to begin with.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

While i know youre exaggerating to prove a point bcoop...i will agree that the methodology is bs and governments are going for big time money grabs. In texas, the max YoY increase is 10%, and in my area ive heard its been right around like 9.98% across the board for everyone. Thats proof enough that its not an appraisal based on comps. They are relying on people to actually fight the value instead of doing the proper leg work in hopes thay people dont try. Its predatory.

Alot of people are actually being taxed out of their houses. Say your taxes are 9,000 per year, so 750 per month in just taxes. Then increase that 10% for 5 years, and that 750 a month in taxes jumps 450 dollars to total 1200 per month in just fucking taxes.

Comment

That was my assumption. Of course prices are going to go up, but people are not accepting the county's claim on how much they went up.
                            sigpic

Comment

For Dallas, you can protest based on market value or based on the appraisal value compared to equivalent homes. That's what I tried, and what this firm I hired will be arguing (equivalent homes, not market value). My price per foot ex land value was more than 3 standard deviations above the mean of the 60 properties closest to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X